(Working Title)
Hairy Tick DM
Port: Heretic+ (Limit-Removing Heretic format)

Screenies: I'm working on a limit-removing Heretic DM set. Detailing and level design not being my favorite things in the world, it's a bit funny that this is what I choose to work on, but I feel like Heretic fans really need a good DM set of maps which can run in as many ports as possible. Unfortunately I had to break Vanilla's limits, mostly because detailing isn't my strong point and knowing this I cannot handle Massively-Monotextured Walls TM in my own work; I feel like everything just looks like shit. That said, thing placement and mechanics are what float my boat, so I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to add more shit give this thing an SP side. I have just started work on the next map, not present here, and plan to just go. Still, I think it would be good to get some feedback as I go, as it'll encourage ideas to flow on my end and hopefully prevent me from making too many mistakes along the way.

Being primarily a DM map, I would love to hear thoughts from folk heavy into the DM community on it's layout and DM "things" placement. Also having that SP element, hearing some feedback from people on that side would be great as well. Demos, as always, are highly encouraged and anticipated, though don't feel too pressured to record one if you don't want to. -record HTDM3iYourNameHereBPPT

First and foremost, on the DM side of things: the layout is a fairly simple one, conducive to somewhere around the 4 or 5 Heretic fans total, if they ever actually happened to be in the same map at the same time. Might also make a decent duel map, being fairly small. There are 2 outside areas, accessed through chicken-tunnel-teleporters. The easier one to get has a good, lesser reward, but the other will likely only happen once every few matches, as it requires a lot of luck, offsetting the usefulness of its reward. Most items are present once in the map, save a small few. There is a lot of ammo scattered about because Heretic needs that a bit more than Doom, I think, and all weapons are present; players start with a crossbow. Mace has 2 locations, favoring the one on the ledge. This map is meant to be played with respawning items.

On the SP side: you'll start in the cave area and teleport into the map. The starting room looks like total garbage but given that it isn't ever seen during a DM, I'll come back to it a few maps in. Teleporting into the map is a bit unintuitive, but you'll figure it out quickly. During this time bars will raise in key positions preventing early exit from the map. Bit of a switch hunt, though there are only 3 switches and I've tried to do a good job making things intuitive and leading the player to the goals (like making bars match up with the switches). Also, it's a tiny map, so you can't get lost even if you tried, heh.

Couple things to note about SP:
- First and foremost, I make maps hard. If you don't do hard, start on a lower difficulty; they are there for a reason! BPPT may be the one, true difficulty for Heretic, but I made it fairly brutal, so be forewarned. From my estimate, par time for BPPT is 0:50; everything else is 0:30. You will absolutely need to use your items effectively on BPPT and develop a strategy to properly deal with each new threat, though most strategies will involve dealing with ghost monsters. I recommend remapping controls for items to z, x, and c if you use wasd+mouse (and the source port permits it).
- If you are not familiar with Heretic's mechanics (the one's different than Doom's), note that ghost monsters, as well as players, cannot be hit by physical attacks. Also note that the mace only has I think a 3/4 chance to appear in the map at all, but if it does, it has a chance to spawn at any number of locations, though always only either one or none. For this, I made sure the mace wasn't needed, though it spawning does immensely help the fun factor. There's a small chance, and I probably should make it smaller, for the mace to spawn near the player's entrance into the "real map area," but don't count on it.

If you want to run this map in the format it was built for, download Heretic-Plus, copy and paste your Heretic folder into its folder, then run it through DOSBox. CD/HERETICP<enter>HERETICP -FILE HTDM3I.WAD<enter>
Note that you need to run the HERETICP.EXE file and have the iWad in the same folder. Heretic-Plus just changes the limits in the iWad to those listed in the readme, which I think is really cool. Of course make sure to keep a backup of your original iWad somewhere else.

There are a couple minor visual errors in this thing in Heretic+, which I can live with, simply due to the fact that most likely people will be playing this as a DM in ZD or Zand or SP in zDoom. Due to the nature of Heretic, I will likely watch any demos in any port, so long as I have the accurate info of the port's version to run the thing.

Download:
HairyTickDMv3i

Always remember to begin every run by typing in IDDQD in order to make sure you're on the right difficulty ;D

Thanks in advance and have fun!