I hope more enemies means more different/new attacks and abilities for them, since there's a lot of effort into the player's arsenal and i feel like there's so much you can do with enemies in this formula, even if it's with some enemies that would show up more on non-arena areas than locked arenas or balance around health/pain chance/damage numbers/feedback/hitbox/model size.   * Like, looking at some weapons and abilities in 2016's multiplayer, you could make an enemy based off Hellshot's alt fire with a projectile that would temporarily stick to the player and cause some short timed continuous poison ability. (and picking up health could stop it)(this could work with the Cybermanc)(also, like the poison arrows in Hexen, Doomguy could cough during this effect) * If the Spectre returns, make him more ghost like, that he can go through the player or something. * An attack that can affect health without touching armor could create tension, since normally, armor must go down first. * Maybe some "freeze" ability that could slow down the player with a slow projectile, enforcing use of melee to break the ice around the player. (inspired by the slow walk floors in that Hell level) * Something that mimicks the Tesla rocket with some distance based energy shocks or even a projectile that shoots other projectiles. * Maybe a shockwave/AoE attack that causes an earthquake and can stun the player for one second. (could be good for the Baalgar and make him more Bowser like because of the Mario inspiration) * The Harvester could be perfect for an ability to heal himself to stealing the player's health, which could draw a demonic parallel to the player's glory kills, syphon grenade and healing abilities. (and Harvester restoring his own health can be represented with the gore system, where he reverses his damage) * Maybe a demon carrying a BFG? (more suited for a boss) * Turn the Hell Guard worms into something similar to Duke Nukem's Slimers/the choking hands from Blood, that can eat the player's face and cover the screen with their ugly mouths, but just a quick punch or a few bullets takes care of them. * Maybe some Heretic inspiration where a demon gets to shoot tornados. (that can spin the player and make him go up, like the tornados from the Iron Lich) * Hell razers could have had a rail gun attack (similar to 2016's cyberdemon) as a secondary attack and in case their energy beams miss the player, make it split into three beams, with the left and right ones slowly turning away from the middle beam. * Maybe a chainsaw enemy like the Sawcubus who could lock the player in some chainsaw animation that exists to drain health but a single punch/attack cancels it and the player can deactivate the enemy's saw, making him just a random basic melee guy. (this one is based off Wolfenstein New Order's weird knife stabby combat where BJ and a nazi just stab each other until one dies, except the version i'm suggesting is something that can be easily cancelled) * Knowing the fire pillars/bars, they could have a monster capable of shooting spinning energy/fire sticks/blades that come in X/Y/Z angles/positions, making them trickier to avoid. * Speaking of enemy shields, maybe something that could reflect projectiles but is dealt easily with hitscan or some other method like hitting a specific spot of the enemy to turn off that shield. * Maybe mimics like in Dark Souls, where pick ups that are in a different color or glow in a different way are demons in disguise.   Sure, this stuff looks gimmicky and it's obviously inspired by either some level hazards, weapons and abilities from the player (Both single and multiplayer), other games and even some mods. (i mean, if id Software themselves are taking inspiration from mods and different games, they could take some basic concepts and find good ways to execute them, that don't feel that noticeable like a new enemy design or something) Considering the player having feedback for the Revenant's homing rockets and the fact that you can disable some enemy attacks, along with the fact that the new Doom's increase your power level, i feel like there's a lot that can be done with enemies and a lot of otherwise annoying things that could be justified in a lot of ways, be it enemy health, damage, pain chance, feedback or even the new hitbox system. (the same system in which you can weaken enemies during fights) No matter how "unfair" or "gimmicky" a demon can be, there could always be a justification for their existence.   Id themselves worked really hard on this game (to the point there was crunch even) and i'm just some guy writing gameplay fanfiction, so i'm probably being delusional while writting this and should be grateful with what we've got.   But i feel like, to me, that's probably the best kind of fanservice that could happen, not just because it appeals to some people that play mods like Colorfull Hell, Champions, Complex Doom etc, but i feel like even new players would love this and the guys who make lore videos would probably make videos about this too, maybe. Increasing a bad guy's power level only makes the good guy's power level even more impressive and variety can be a good example.   It could also make the new games closer to classic Doom in the sense that Doom 2 expanded the roster with new and unique monster types, that make the game feel different because of their abilities. When enemies are different enough, you could look at something like FreeDoom or even Simpsons Doom, where the sprites and sounds are changed but the core gameplay is still the same, so you get to soon realize which enemy is which Doom enemy. Not sure what the direction of the DLC campaigns will be like (and if they have a lot of pans for it) and we don't even know the full roster of the base game, but if any id employee is somehow reading this, there's a lot of potential in what i'm saying. But at the same time, it took a lot of time to make the new gore system work, so i can't blame anyone if what i'd like to see happen doesn't happen.   Edit: also accuracy from the enemies is another factor, specially for some hitscan attacks.
  • Reputation Points