Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qoko

[Community project] 'Minus Fast' (-fast based WAD) [MAP SLOTS OPEN]

INTRODUCTION

Heavily based on NERF (Not Even Remotely Fair) that is designed solely around Nightmare! difficulty, I thought of the idea to base a WAD solely on the -fast parameter being enabled! Design encounter scenarios based on hitscan mayhem, bullet hell arenas or Pinky/Spectre swarming! Or, if you want, just design a lot of medium-sized encounters where dealing with -fast is a nuisance but not game breaking. Regardless, the player is forced to play on '-fast', so go nuts. The difference with NERF is however, given it's not on NM, that every encounter and map should be able to be cleared completely. The WAD is not essentially story driven, though maps 1 and 31 will be connected based on the map gimmick.

WHO AM I

Dutch game enthusiast and a relatively new (returned) DOOMer. I mainly play RPGs and MMOs, DOOM is kind of my odd one out when it comes to FPS due to how legendary it is. I'm an enthusiastic player and playthrough viewer (mainly decino, Coincident and BMD).  I love playing variety of maps, I generally prefer relatively short but powerful maps, think Going Down, Overboard, Zone 300/400 etc. I can see the good points and mistakes in maps and have the skill to judge maps based on -fast. Having said that, I'll admit that I barely have any mapping experience: the concept MAP01 below is my first map that can be finished, so it's sort of an experiment for me if I can lead a CP and be critical of map submissions. Wouldn't mind if mappers assist in play testing!

RULES

• Design your maps according to -fast enabled! Implied, but just to be sure. More on design & difficulty below.
  • IWAD Doom 2, complevel 9 (Boom). I think that the use of stock monsters and limit removing should still provide plenty of ingenuity.
    • No custom monsters. I am open to ideas that elevate the -fast concept.
  • Given I'm as good as new to mapping, I'll allow mappers of any kind. If you are relatively new, play test accordingly for -fast!
  • I do like aesthetically pleasing maps: I'm not asking for Sunlust/Sunder type maps, but give layout a proper thought.
    • Resource pack OTEX v1.1 (the concept map below uses DOOM 2 stock). Custom skies allowed, other textures no.
  • Difficulty settings: base UV, lower difficulties supported, with the restriction that -fast is enabled on all difficulties!
    • Not compatible with Nightmare! or -respawn (that's kind of the whole point).
  • Each mapper may contribute up to two maps, but if two they should be in different difficulty sections.
    • Play testing for your own maps is required.
    • Please tell me if you'd be interested in play testing maps from others.
  • Deadline; currently not really looking to finish fast, but thought it would be nice New Year present, so loosely setting December 31st.

DESIGN, DIFFICULTY CURVE & MAP SLOTS

Depending on the traction this is going to get, I'm intending a 32-level megawad with a secret warp 15>31>32>16 as DOOM2.

Aesthetics are open within the OTEX limit. Make it beautiful or more basic.

Gimmicks are allowed but not required, with or without -fast in mind, as long as it's Boom compatible.

Relatively difficulty (UV -fast):

• MAP2-10: relatively short (~3min max), below average to average difficulty maps.
  • MAP11-20: average size (~5min max), average to difficult maps.
  • MAP21-30: average to above average (10min max) size, difficult to Going Down-esque final maps difficult.
  • MAP32: bullet hell survival arena! (might reserve this myself, given I have a concept idea, but open to give it away).

MAP SLOTS OPEN: 30

Map slots:

Spoiler

1. @Qoko 'Minus Fast'
  2. OPEN
  3. OPEN
  4. OPEN
  5. OPEN
  6. OPEN
  7. OPEN
  8. OPEN
  9. OPEN
  10. OPEN
  11. OPEN
  12. OPEN
  13. OPEN
  14. OPEN
  15. OPEN (secret exit)
  16. OPEN
  17. OPEN
  18. OPEN
  19. OPEN
  20. OPEN
  21. OPEN
  22. OPEN
  23. OPEN
  24. OPEN
  25. OPEN
  26. OPEN
  27. OPEN
  28. OPEN
  29. OPEN
  30. OPEN (preferably no IoS)
  31. @Qoko 'tsaF suniM'
  32. OPEN (BULLET HELL CONCEPT IDEA)

MAP SUBMISSION

When you have been accepted for a map slot and are done with your map, please use the template below when submitting your map (thanks to @MFB38) and sent me the map by PM.

Map name: [title of your map]
Author: [author name]
Play time: [estimated play time of your map]
Music: [name and source of custom MIDI used (if applicable)]
Difficulty settings: [yes/no] (if not, base difficulty is UV based on difficulty curve!)

Description & other notes: [elaborate on your map and whether or not you use anything specific with -fast in mind]

ASSISTING

Given I'm new to this, I wouldn't mind more experienced players and mappers helping me compiling this. The -fast concept is set and I prefer limit-removing but non-ZDoom maps. I am otherwise open to suggestions and ideas. I have no major knowledge of MIDIs either nor am I an artist. So anyone assisting me with the compiling, music, art and play testers would be great.

CONCEPT MAP01 FORCING -fast

Similar to NERF map 1, I got busy thinking of a map design that forced -fast, but does not work on Nightmare!. It's actually my first fully designed map, how tiny and gimmicky it is:

• On regular difficulties the Cyber isn't fast enough to kill all Keens
  • On Nightmare!, respawning Keens prevents killing them all.
  • -fast combines these ideas!

The Invul, triggering 666 and lowering the teleporter (after dolls are rocketed) is voodoo doll conveyor belt shenanigans. The visible dolls are pushed into a linedef triggering the teleporter to lower on a small delay.

Disclaimer: the finished version of this map will have a better design and texture polish!

Edited by Qoko