Very boxy, linear, and simply boring levels. No hub design or puzzles to speak of. And to top it off, some terrible voice-acting and weird sound effects replacements (including the Ettins confusingly using the fighter's pain noise). Not at all worth playing.
Simple and easy map to waste your time while you don't know what to do with your time. Things what I liked:
1. Some detailings and skybox
Things what I disliked:
1.Flatness. Not much of height varation.
2.Most of places contain cheesable fights, not even last one could destroy me, because you can simple abuse walls or strafe around areas and there are plenty of ammo.
3.This kind of personal thing, but I couldn't see why this map requires zdoom or gzdoom. No special effects or 3d floors were used, feels more like boom format map.
* Hell Ground Review *
- Maps are very visually gorgeous. Architecture is smooth and Gothic themed. Bravo on this!
- LOTS of combat. Challenging, yet this WAD is not a slaughterfest. More on this in the “Cons” section.
- Music is great, except Map 6. Oriental music just does not go well with this Map.
- The best map is the final map, Map 7 – Mystery of Hell. It is HUUUUGE. Set aside your entire afternoon for this map. It has 15 secrets and you will not find them unless you have all day.
- Absolutely hated the sound effects.
- You’ll get the BFG 9000 before you will get the Plasma Rifle if you fail to find the Plasma Rifle’s secret beforehand – in the previous Map.
- Although not a slaughterfest, many enemies appear out of the ground just about every time you utilize the “Use” button. Many combats were close quarters – off course, AFTER the monsters appear from nowhere and/or the ground.
- Map 3 (Paranoia) starts you off in a small room with 4 firing Chaingunners that suddenly pop up from the ground, each in a corner. Good luck with that.
- Level 4 (Warp of Time) is a nightmare. I have played literally hundreds of WADS and I've never once “IDCLEV’ed” a map. But I did so after completing approx 75% of this map as I had enough of it.
- Level 6 is just plain useless. You “free fall” for 30 seconds. Then walk (a virtual) 10 miles.
All in all, I just didn’t have fun with Hell Ground for all the reasons in the “Cons” section. I have no idea why so many praised this WAD, let alone what it’s doing in the 2009 Cacowards. I've seen much better work from the author, Alexander "Eternal" S. (aka Deadall).
It was the "suddenly appearing" monsters and the horrible sound effects that annoyed me the most, not to mention Maps 4 and 6. Considering the WAD is comprised of only 7 maps, two of these seven maps being useless is a fair chunk of the game.
2 out of 5 stars. ~ Dylux
Put a lot of efforts in this wad, the sector art is good. Visually, it should be a 5/5, with large city and heavy detailing, but except slaughter style(well, 1000+ monsters in UV is enough to be slaughter map I think) just not fit me, the subway/train area just a little dark(even though the lighting is good), and the tunnels to the final arena can be confusing...
It's still a nice map I think.