Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Programmer looking to help out

Hi,

I am about to finish my degree in CS & math, have experience writing C/C++, and would like to gain experience working on real projects. Since I'm a huge DOOM fan and have enjoyed all the mods and wads over the years, I want to give something back.

I'm looking to work on a DOOM mod project. I'm not familiar with the DOOM source out there, but I'm a quick learner. Willing to follow directions, meet deadlines, and most of all, contribute to keeping DOOM alive.

Regards,
--Intel17

ACS and DECORATE would be good languages for you to learn. There is a lot of info on the ZDoom Wiki at zdoom.org.

You can think of ACS as a scripting language since that is exactly what it is. I tend to equate DECORATE as a hybrid between CSS and scripting. If you want a little history: DEHACKED is the predecessor to DECORATE. I myself have done some programming in these languages, but alas it has been many many years since.

If you are interested in developing your own DOOM Engine, I'm afraid there is not much I can help you with. I'd suggest either starting with viewing the source of Chocolate Doom or looking at the Vanilla Source Code (not sure if possible - but i think it is).