Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Wizard

Spawning a thing when a bullet crosses a linedef

A brief explanation of my goal is to create "holo" screens that can be moved and shot through. That part was easy, of course.

To further advance things, I'd like to spawn a thing (I'll start with the plasma gun projectile explosion) to simulate a bullet effecting the screen as it passes through it.

My question is, can I aquire the x,y,z of the bullet impact so I can spawn the hit effect in the correct location on the holoscreen?

Thanks guys!

p.s. Sorry if the screenshot is dark. But it's basically just a transparent wall, etc

2017-12-09 (3).png

UPDATE:

I've managed to get everything working up to this point. However, I'm currently stuck with on hitscan weapons.

With projectiles (i.e. rockets, I was able to utilize GetActorX, ...Y, ...Z and Spawn appropriately..

With hitscan collisions however, I am unsure of how to detect the x,y, and z of where the bullet passed through the triggering linedef.

Any info on how to check hitscan collision locations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've been searching for an answer to the hitscan collision location tirelessly and have yielded no results.

The curious thing is that there must be an x,y,z where a hitscan hits otherwise how would the game know where to properly place decals when bullets hit walls.

I'm also starting to wonder if what I'm trying to accomplish can only be done with an Actor that spawns a custom "blood splatter" where it is shot. My only concern is that it's meant to be along the surface of a transparent wall so defining a width will allow you to hit the actor from the side of the wall even if you're not directly aiming at the wall itself.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.