Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bomberboi98

Obsidian Level Generator, Lazy or not?

Hey, Doomworld, I'm just wondering if Obsidian Level Generator is lazy or not?

BTW, What I mean by lazy is people (especially new level makers.) can install it and make a doom level without the need for tutorials.

Also, this is not an attack on the developers of Obsidian Level Generator, I think you are doing a great job with what you're doing, I am just generally curious about what the classic Doom community thinks, especially after the debacle about all the level generators of the 90s.

Levels generated by Obsidian are not made by people.  They are made by the program.

The prefabs which Obsidian uses to make whole levels were handcrafted by people.

The controversy you might be referring to was when the creator of SLIGE wanted to upload his procedurally-generated maps to the idgames archive.  Source.  If they let him do it, then everyone could upload their procedurally-generated content and claim it was their own.

I enjoy cooking a level in Obsidian for the purpose of inspiration.  Sometimes I don't know what new layouts I might want to try out until an Obsidian map gives me something neat and new to see.  Once I find a generated map that is fun, I tend to remember the layout so I can draw from that experience at a later date, or just go and make a map similar to the one I just generated.

Are you asking if it's lazy for someone to generate a mapset in Obsidian and then claim it was made all on their own?  I think you should be able to answer that one.

23 hours ago, innerethos said:

Levels generated by Obsidian are not made by people.  They are made by the program.

The prefabs which Obsidian uses to make whole levels were handcrafted by people.

The controversy you might be referring to was when the creator of SLIGE wanted to upload his procedurally-generated maps to the idgames archive.  Source.  If they let him do it, then everyone could upload their procedurally-generated content and claim it was their own.

I enjoy cooking a level in Obsidian for the purpose of inspiration.  Sometimes I don't know what new layouts I might want to try out until an Obsidian map gives me something neat and new to see.  Once I find a generated map that is fun, I tend to remember the layout so I can draw from that experience at a later date, or just go and make a map similar to the one I just generated.

Are you asking if it's lazy for someone to generate a mapset in Obsidian and then claim it was made all on their own?  I think you should be able to answer that one.

For that last part, Fair.

You are basically talking AI generated art at its core. No it is not considered original, and it is a great tool to use for many aspects like doors, switches, texture combos, and most of all it is fun for private use or to share the rare good ones. The problem with Obsidian and Oblige is that once you are familiar with the program then you can tell when something is crafted by it due to its base pre-fab skeleton parts, or missuse of buiding logic that it cannot comprehend. Its that last part that is the real stickler in that Obsidian will build random map objects that are functional but completely illogical , and use that gives it away as being artificial.