Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LVENdead

(*UPDATE 10/15/23 EPISODE 2 RELEASE*) BITTER DREAM - a dark, cosmic mapset WIP (cl9)

For anyone who is interested, I've been uploading the music for BITTER DREAM to my YouTube channel. Once the whole project reaches the

official RC version, I'll grant permission to use them in your own WADS.

In the meantime:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPIX118bXh81nDrhtbPY5sn4JOBO-7qRv&si=4c9Jo29WK_CKlc3M

EDIT: I dunno why this is linking to a specific video instead of the whole playlist when I embed it so I'm just going to leave the link itself.

13 hours ago, mancubian_candidate said:

Damn, will get to this as soon as I can. Episode 1 was fantastic!

Thanks so much! Please let me know your thoughts once you've had a chance to play it :)

Edited by LVENdead

Nice to see you back buddy fun Hangout 

That's probably the most menacing imp fight I've ever experienced. And all taking place in a beautiful backdrop. 

Can't wait to play more! You're really giving it for this project I like it

9 hours ago, Clippy said:

Nice to see you back buddy fun Hangout 

That's probably the most menacing imp fight I've ever experienced. And all taking place in a beautiful backdrop. 

Can't wait to play more! You're really giving it for this project I like it

Thanks for playing bud, looking forward to the next time we can get together for the rest.

Nice to come back to this map set. Very impressive stuff. Man you have a knack for setting up interesting combat scenarios especially in the next map which I will share tomorrow 😄 

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

Nice to come back to this map set. Very impressive stuff. Man you have a knack for setting up interesting combat scenarios especially in the next map which I will share tomorrow 😄 

Spoiler

Glad to hang out and watch you play this. I have a few fixes to implement based on this lol. Thanks again man!

Had a really interesting time playing this one! The combat situation here was spectacular and well thought out. I love the arena that forces you to go out and in and work so well with the monsters and the flow of it all. I'm going to remember this one!! 

Oh nice! Had a go at these (with saves for the first playthrough), and Jesus Christ the difficulty spike is real. I'd say that they're on par with early Sunlust to be honest. 

Map 04 is super atmospheric, and shows that the combat is going to much harder than before. 

I'd say that map 05 is my favourite, and the hardest of the set. The second half with the Cybers stalking you is a killer, but I figured out a good strategy, and beat it without using the BFG in the end (seriously, HOW do you get that thing?), but those Rad suits don't last anywhere near as long as you'd think they would. Visuals are stellar as always.

Map 06 is pretty great too, the ending gives off God Machine-lite vibes.... I actually beat it blind too! Pretty much hit the switch, grabbed the BFG, and did some big ol' circles. May end up doing some playthroughs for the ol' channel... we'll see.

4 hours ago, Flyxolydian said:

I'd say that map 05 is my favourite, and the hardest of the set. The second half with the Cybers stalking you is a killer, but I figured out a good strategy, and beat it without using the BFG in the end (seriously, HOW do you get that thing?), but those Rad suits don't last anywhere near as long as you'd think they would. Visuals are stellar as always.

I definitely think 05 is the hardest as well. After it hit such a peak I intentionally tried to make map 06 a little easier. I feel like the end of 05 is a bit cheeseable and debated redesigning the fight a little, but maybe it's okay to leave it the way it is since the lead up is pretty intense overall.

Regarding the BFG:

Spoiler

There are 3 switches hidden in the city area that will lower the BFG pillar once you hit all 3.

Further spoiler:

Spoiler

One is very close to the blue armor secret located at the northern part of the city.

One is in the basement with the two revenants and supplies, in the same "plaza" as the red key cache and the flooded room with the rad suit.

One is near the yellow key, in the tiny "overlook" room that has the soul sphere.

4 hours ago, Flyxolydian said:

Map 06 is pretty great too, the ending gives off God Machine-lite vibes.... I actually beat it blind too! Pretty much hit the switch, grabbed the BFG, and did some big ol' circles. May end up doing some playthroughs for the ol' channel... we'll see. 

If you do feel free to share, I always enjoy watching playthroughs!

BFG:

Spoiler

Ah right! I found one of the switches, in the Revenant basement. I thought it did something else though, so didn't search for any more haha.

Map 5 cheese:

Spoiler

So, my solution was to get the yellow key first, stay around the red switch for a bit, then grab the red key and come back to that spot. It's not a proper cheese, as you can still die, but it makes it easier to control that horde. Otherwise it'd be an absolute monster of a fight!

Also, I'll record them at some point! Been getting my ass handed to me by Ribbiks (trying to single-segment the last levels of Stardate 20X6, and Sunlust haha), so I could use a break.

As promised... finally. They're all recorded, just got sidetracked by Sunlust and IRL commitments. I missed a Lost Soul on map 3, but everyone knows they don't count so it's OK.

@Flyxolydian Awesome, glad to see you're finally sharing this and excited to see the rest of your play through!

Also I guess it's fair to say it's been a long while since I've shared any kind of update on this project. I'm still working on it, but between a nice mix of "being busy with other Doom projects", mapper's block, and periodic disinterest in Doom in general, it's been a bit slow going. Plus, Episode 3 is some of my most ambitious work, so it's taking a while for things to come together. I hope to have an RC ready to share before summer starts.

In the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots of what I've been working on, including an all new HUD that I made and a bunch of new menu graphics!

M7I0Lkl.png

AjPAQ3h.png