Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
candyman64

Grate see-thru door and midgrate textured walls around it -- help required

Question

So here's another problem I encountered, I need to make a grate door that you can see thru while having two walls on each side of the door that have standard mid-grate textures for the monsters to see you and wake up because if you only have this door monsters can't see you.

Everything seems to work fine from the first look until you enter the room and look outside ,,,,then you can see that the walls with the mid-grate textures for some reason go deep under the ground and are still rendered from underneath the floor as if there's no Z Buffer check.. Is there any way to fix it? For the reference on how to build such door I just looked at how it was made in one of the WADs I have downloaded

So now how I made it I created a sector that has floor and ceiling both on the same level but one pixel above the ground compared to the mother-sector that door is IN,, and then shifted the texture pos (Y)

The mid texture is the grate textureI wannt the door to have and both upper&lower are just unspecificed All screenshots below,,thanks

For the note until I lowered the sector ceiling to 72 it worked perfectly fine without that texture bug but then I had to lower it from 128 to 72

image.png.d608f3dfa7a6e8379e77d3deef39afec.pngimage.png.f8d473052c1ad321acdcc72fc21ac07c.png

image.png.ad99b56f4b4cbebd10af373dbf3764cb.pngimage.png.acbd11392c2866fa658680a8094cb01c.png

Heres the  2D top view from the editior if you need it:

image.png.e059ecdd70ed3a4624c8a07db709ce7e.png

Edited by candyman64

4 answers to this question

8 hours ago, candyman64 said:

WOW HUGE thanks for this,,just did it and it worked I just wonder what exactly happens there

My guess as explanation: the sides with the same brightness and height are treated by engine as one visplane, and the midtexture is not cut by it, but when one or both values are changed, they become two visplanes, and midtex is cut off, cuz it's obstructed with a visplane. When there's one visplane, the engine wouldn't want to cut anything

35 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Change brightness by 1 on one of the sides of the midtex

WOW HUGE thanks for this,,just did it and it worked I just wonder what exactly happens there

That's messed up so you think someone ought to request it be fixed as a bug or leave it alone? One number differnce don't matter much in terms of look you cant really notice it unless maybe you REALLY try but still maybe other people don't have to run into such problems