Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
candyman64

Skywall... in software

Question

Here's the question i have it's probably a really nooby question but I cant help it

How do I make the sky wall here work in Software renderer correctly? I previosly used OpenGL and it looked as it was supposed to look but in software I jus discovered its rendered this way thanks

image.png.dff3e397c97d1cd98a99624eaba42a17.png

8 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, candyman64 said:

Sorr I didn't quite get that what's an open/closed sector

Non-zero height vs zero height.

Basically, what you need is to make a sector with floor at 96 and ceiling at 192. Then you draw another sector along the 3 walls with ceiling lowered to 96. Both with sky ceiling and sky floor. Then sky hack will finally work. Approximate shape:

image.png?ex=6591103f&is=657e9b3f&hm=5d1

13 minutes ago, candyman64 said:

Its in the zip archive Ive tried both ways on the video lowering ceiling raising floor & leaving it as it is for the demonstrations sake also showed that section of the map in the 3d view

So now I can clearly see you have only one sector. You need 2. One open and one close. Like I mentioned, "sky hack" will work if it's BETWEEN 2 sky ceilings.

Since you appear to be using UDMF that I have no experience with, you might have other options, like setting a line as horizon.

Have you tried lowering a sector with F_SKY1 as its ceiling texture? That's a pretty old trick, but it may work perfectly. You just have to do that I said before, and also be sure the walls of the sector you're lowering has no texture.

Yup walls have no texture I've tried lowering ceiling to the floor level it didn't chang anything unfortunately

It worked when I had troubles with the walls but not with this thing....I think it has to do with the way the sky is being rendered in Software thanks for replying thouh

Any chance you raised floor instead of ceiling? Sky hack only works on upper texture, an upper texture between two sky ceilings will be drawn as sky, but not lower texture between two sky floors.

16 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Any chance you raised floor instead of ceiling? Sky hack only works on upper texture, an upper texture between two sky ceilings will be drawn as sky, but not lower texture between two sky floors.

No way I just recorded the video demonstrating everything I think its best

Its in the zip archive Ive tried both ways on the video lowering ceiling raising floor & leaving it as it is for the demonstrations sake also showed that section of the map in the 3d view

sky.zip

Sorr I didn't quite get that what's an open/closed sector

Ive always beenn doing it the way its in the video OpenGL seems to have no problem with it And Mostly I used OpenGL renderer

the map format is D/Hexen