Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OnionTaco22

How do you change the main menu's music?

I found a higher quality version of the regular main menu music and want to have that play instead of the normal one. The only information I can find is to replace the audio file in pak003.pk4 and make sure it has the exact same name and extension, but when I do that the menu is just silent. I use dhewm3 if that changes anything.

Make sure the audio file has a sample rate of 44.1kHz or lower, and if it's a wav instead of an ogg file, a bit depth of 16 or lower. The version I assume you're using is the 24bit 48kHz wav file extracted from Doom Eternal which isn't recognized in the Doom 3 engine (or dhewm3 apparently). A warning should be visible if you open the console to either confirm or disprove my suspicion, either saying ".wav is 24bits, expected 16bits" or ".wav is 48000Hz, expected 11025, 22050 or 44100 Hz".

You can open the audio file in something like Audacity, export it as a 16bit 44.1kHz wav or a 24bit 44.1kHz ogg and it should work in-game just fine. Sadly the only way to get it to play in the game engine is to lower the fidelity but it's still higher quality than the original mono 22.05kHz.

I used the high quality stereo version ripped from DE to edit and replace all instances of the original Doom 3 theme song a few years ago if you want to look at it for reference.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/remastered-theme-song-and-end-credits/addons/d3-theme-remastered