Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
com_tam_fan

A couple questions about Doom files

I was thinking about transferring my Steam versions of Doom games onto a flashdrive with DOSBox, but a couple things came up...

First off, what are the bare essential files needed to run Doom/Doom II/Heretic/Other Doom engine games? I compared the Steam version of The Ultimate Doom to the files on my Doom II disc, there are obviously a lot of files that I wouldn't have to transfer though I don't know which ones.

Second, where could I find a copy of SETUP.EXE? As some of you already know Steam doesn't include/use it (from what I can tell), how do I solve this?

I don't know how to get a copy of SETUP.EXE by itself. Perhaps the one included in the shareware version will work...?

You're probably better off with a source port, really. In that case, all you'd need is the WAD file. I believe Odamex and Zandronum both offer "portable installations": you can unzip the program to any folder and copy the WAD file to that folder. Portable installations don't make Start Menu items/registry entries so they can be run anywhere. Flash drives, SD cards, burned CD-ROMs, you name it.

I imagine the SETUP.EXE in the shareware version of Doom will work well enough. I mean, all it really does is write a proper config file. I guess it acts as a primitive launcher too but you can surely make do without that functionality.

As for essential files? An exe and a wadfile, for single player at least. I don't know if multiplayer requires SERSETUP.EXE or IPXSETUP.EXE, or something else. But both of those are available in the shareware version too.

Bucket said:

I don't know how to get a copy of SETUP.EXE by itself. Perhaps the one included in the shareware version will work...?

You're probably better off with a source port, really. In that case, all you'd need is the WAD file. I believe Odamex and Zandronum both offer "portable installations": you can unzip the program to any folder and copy the WAD file to that folder. Portable installations don't make Start Menu items/registry entries so they can be run anywhere. Flash drives, SD cards, burned CD-ROMs, you name it.

ZDoom and GZDoom both work just fine on flash drives, too.