Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
purist

Who here uses 50megs.com?

I use this site builder to host my doom wads, which it is quite happy doing. But now I'm trying to add screenshots it keeps coming up with Page Cannot Be Found errors. Has anyone else come accross the same problem - perhaps found out what's causing the errors?

It's really fustrating because it will accept some screenshots without complaint. Size and filename seem to have no bearing.

Can anyone help me out?

Looks like the problem's in the HTML. Do you have an offline mirror of the site on your hard-drive? If not - make one and use a copy of it to troubleshoot the errors. Once they're sorted out on your local drive - update the website.

You might have to use something other than the site builder.

I know nothing about making websites, I used this one because it looked really user friendly.

I try to do what you suggest, but I don't hold much hope. It seems to be picky over which screenshots I use but I can't figure out the difference between the ones it will and won't.

I assume you're using a free account in which case 50megs might be rejecting screenshots that exceed the 250k filesize limit - the lack of FTP access also restricts you to using the domain builder. The best I can suggest right now is some self-education since a basic understanding of how web pages are built should help you spot errors when updating your site. This is a good place to start.

I'd replace the 48bit thumbnails with 24bit or even 8bit and convert the Title pic to PNG or JPG.

I think it is the file size - the one's it's accepted are all 250k or less. I didn't realise there was a limit on the individual pics.

Thanks for your help Grey. Did you download any levels, incidentley?

It mightn't be a file size issue since I've found a dozen screenshots that exceed 250k - the mystery deepens. Couldn't find any downloads but that might be my privacy/security settings.

I saved the screenshots that weren't working as .JPG files to reduce their size and that did the trick so it probably was the size, or in any case it's problem solved for now anyway.

The downloads are on this page:

http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

I've compiled the resources in a seperate .wad file so both need to be downloaded for it to run properly.