Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

*Sigh* One more dumb question.

This has probably been asked a million times before, and somebody's probably going to say RTFM. But I can't find any info on it.

I've never understood ZDoom's bots. I posted a thread about them with a few general questions once (but I won't dig that up). And recently when I put ZDoom 2.0.47 on this computer, it didn't have a bots.cfg with it. I shrugged it off. Now, I was screwing around with something in that folder today and I noticed a "zcajun" folder had been created. That meant, somehow, that I now had bots to play with. So I figured, what the hell, I'd try a DM with 'em. But I noticed those bot names were different from the ones I remembered from my other computer. In fact, some of them I recognize from here (Russell, SgtCrispy, [999]Cop, and deathz0r)!

I opened bots.cfg in Notepad just now, and realized I could edit the bots' settings. But I don't know what they mean:
Aiming: I guess that's obvious, but what's the range? 1 to 100?
Perfection: What does this do?
Reaction: Does this mean reaction time?
Isp: ...I don't have a clue what this does.
Color: Is there a color table somewhere? I don't know what to put if I want to change a bot's color...
Skin: Er... I believe the only skin I have is base. But these other bots have other skins... according to the file, at least.
Weaponpref: I thought they just used whatever they happened to pick up.

One more thing: what site(s) put the bots.cfg file on my computer, and why does it have some of those familiar names on it?

Thanks... and yes, I know I'm a moron. I don't know any of this stuff...

I'm a lil rusty on this myself but he's what i remember

Aim: IIRC the numbers go from 1 to 10; weakest to best
Perfection: I'd say it's how many times they get it right but i can't remember for sure.
ISP: General intelligence iirc
Reaction: Yup that's how fast they react.
color: Generally variable. Legacy bots have colors set as a number (1 to 10 i think) whilst zdoom bots have colour like this
r 100 g 100 b 100
weaponpref: Yup their preference of guns. Usually they have all the guns there and the bots will therefore go for a bfg more often.

Hope that helps (not likely)

Fodders: Hmm... a program that edits them. Sounds interesting.

BlueSonnet: Thanks. But I'm sure there's at least 100 for aim, as at least five of the bots in my cfg file have that. For color... I guess that make sense. But I was seeing some weird combos in there, like "40 cf 00." Apparantly this is for another port or something, because the bots who had that combo came out green... *shrug*

You know, I don't see why skins are useful but then, I have little idea what a skin is anyway. I hear people can make them?

Hehe, netomad, did you launch a server and connect to localhost to play? In that case, your server shows on the masterserver and the familliar names may not only be names, but actually players ;)

No, no... although the names may come from some server I may have reached through DC. No, they were certainly not real players, because they were acting like those moronic bots. And now I'm trying Unleashed, and I'm trying to edit those stats even though I don't have a full idea of what I'm doing. I still can't figure out what skins do, for instance.

netnomad312 said:
[B because they were acting like those moronic bots. [/B]

Could be [999]Cop, sounds about right for his style of play :P

Heh... perhaps, I wouldn't know. But I opened the bots.cfg and there they all were. It doesn't matter now, I've changed the bots now, even though I wasn't sure what I was doing.

Can anyone tell me about skins?