Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Impso

Null ACS module help?

Question

Alright friends, new problem has cropped up. Hopefully this will be the last question for a while, and I realize the ACS module stuff is old news for a lot of you, but please understand I've never fiddled with it at all, only making maps with the default tools at hand. 

The problem is this: I'm working on a new wad, one featuring a floating demon face, with Gummulus as a placeholder name as I still haven't really worked out a name for him yet. I've gotten an image to function as his sprite in the game, I've gotten the decorate file for him all sorted out, I've confirmed that it all runs smoothly and...well...whenever I try to test run the map, it starts, but I get a warning in the console that says "invalid ACS module." and Gummulus doesn't really behave like I want him to, or as I'd imagine him to. (my hope is that he'd roam freely and launch projectiles while only inching towards the player like a Cacodemon), instead he stays a constant, certain distance away from the player and launches his projectiles. I've made a wad for a friend with custom monsters that functioned as intended, and I'm not sure what I did, but I cannot for the life of me replicate whatever miracle I managed to pull off previously. I did my own research and from what I gleaned, it has something to do with the ordering of the level scripting, but when I view my level scripting, as text or hex, it doesn't give me a whole lot to go on, if it's not blank at all, so I'm at a dead end. As always, screenshots to all data I think is relevant will be up, and any help will be greatly appreciated. 

bandicam 2020-05-21 22-40-55-813.jpg

bandicam 2020-05-21 22-52-24-871.jpg

bandicam 2020-05-21 22-39-35-326.jpg

zdoom 2020-05-21 22-37-38-089.jpg

5 answers to this question

Ultra dumb return question, but do you include common.acs or zcommon.acs in the case of GZDoom?

Every ACS module i have read starts with that. So if it throws an error called ''Invalid ACS module'', my first thought would be to verify if the basic structure is present.

hello sir, sorry for month of silence, life hit me hard. 
as for your question, I believe I am using zcommon.acs. 
I've just recently tried to compile the script for the decorate file using ACC, but I get this other message. 1246136133_bandicam2020-06-2621-57-20-837.jpg.e7040bbc4f2826a0f29b975c8f4e1796.jpg
I feel like I'm on the brink of solving this problem, so if you or someone else sees this, any help would be greatly appreciated

A Decorate monster, such as the one you have begun to write, shouldn't need any ACS scripting at all.  They're two different programing languages for two different things - you definitely shouldn't be trying to compile your Decorate lump with the ACS compiler.  Decorate doesn't need compiling, it's read as-is by ZDoom.

Do you have any compiled scripts at all in any of your maps, or as standalone lumps in your wad?