Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iddq_tea

DoomGPT: An AI-directed Doom II mapping project (v1.2)

6 hours ago, Korni27 said:

Here: during recording, I didn't realize that my voice was too quiet, but there are two sections, one where I play the map, second where I show you how and what I would Improve it. Anyways, good map

I cant here any of your commentary. 

5 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I cant here any of your commentary. 

Yeah I know, go to around the end of the video to hear my thoughts, cuz then I could actually be heard

Also, the reason that wall in the marble room was weird was because originally the lava with platforms room was actually the room with the raised switch and you lowered the bars to the marble throne room. That was where the bars used to be.

2 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

Also, the reason that wall in the marble room was weird was because originally the lava with platforms room was actually the room with the raised switch and you lowered the bars to the marble throne room. That was where the bars used to be.

I figured, i guess it works as a wall, but it should be removed over all

5 hours ago, noisebloom said:

Here is my map... sorry for the last-minute submission. Hopefully our AI overlords will be pleased.

DoomGPT_noisebloom_MAP11.zip

hmm. that was an alright map, but a bit too simple. it felt like a slaughter-map of sorts. 
room #1 (keyless room): GOD... when will people learn mazes with random enemies plopped around don't make fun gameplay? if that's what gpt made you put in it, then you're forgived, but COME ON. at least you gave enough ammunition and stuff to take on the barons/revs. 
(sidenote, due to the individual wads nature i had to play it off a pistol start. it might be easier when the DoomGPT megawad is compiled.)

room #2 (blue key gated room): run to the front, get the skullkey, run back. simplest room out of all of these. no suggestions other than maybe adding a few more barons.

room #3 (yellow key gated room) way easier than the other two rooms imo. you just dodge some BoHs and a pain elemental, get the key and go back to the start. idk anything to change with that one lol

boss fight...
ehh its ok kinda cheesable tho, since you can wait for the spider mastermind to infight with the chaingunners at the top, then run while he's looking away, run behind the pillars to the door  and mash the interact button to beat the level.

overall, this is a decent-ish... i dont really know if that qualifies as a slaughter stage since it has too few enemies, but it feels like one, and provided a nice challenge. just too bland. 3/5

14 hours ago, Raith138 said:

The orange door doesn't work.

Tested this out in Zandronum and GZDoom and the yellow door seems to work fine. I don't see any issues with the sector or linedefs. What port is it not working in?

13 hours ago, concentratedcobalt said:

hmm. that was an alright map, but a bit too simple. it felt like a slaughter-map of sorts. 
room #1 (keyless room): GOD... when will people learn mazes with random enemies plopped around don't make fun gameplay? if that's what gpt made you put in it, then you're forgived, but COME ON. at least you gave enough ammunition and stuff to take on the barons/revs. 
(sidenote, due to the individual wads nature i had to play it off a pistol start. it might be easier when the DoomGPT megawad is compiled.)

room #2 (blue key gated room): run to the front, get the skullkey, run back. simplest room out of all of these. no suggestions other than maybe adding a few more barons.

room #3 (yellow key gated room) way easier than the other two rooms imo. you just dodge some BoHs and a pain elemental, get the key and go back to the start. idk anything to change with that one lol

boss fight...
ehh its ok kinda cheesable tho, since you can wait for the spider mastermind to infight with the chaingunners at the top, then run while he's looking away, run behind the pillars to the door  and mash the interact button to beat the level.

overall, this is a decent-ish... i dont really know if that qualifies as a slaughter stage since it has too few enemies, but it feels like one, and provided a nice challenge. just too bland. 3/5

Thanks for the feedback.

Admittedly, this map was not my best work. Just moved across the country, got a new job, and am now closing on my first house, so my mental efforts have not been as focused on making this map as good as it can be. I mostly lament the lack of texturing in this one, but I also do think I missed the mark with the map's flow, especially towards the end. ChatGPT's prompts also kind of forced me into making an exceedingly simple hub map into something more interesting, which was a challenge.

That being said, I'm willing to fix any bugs that arise, but I won't be redeveloping any major segments of the map unless its broken; I just don't have the bandwidth right now. I also think that my mapping style is an acquired taste to begin with, so there's that...

31 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Tested this out in Zandronum and GZDoom and the yellow door seems to work fine. I don't see any issues with the sector or linedefs. What port is it not working in?

It may have been Andrea.

Edited by Raith138

36 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

FWIW, both yellow doors (the door itself and the bar at the end) worked fine for me on DSDA-Doom 0.26.2 (cl 2).

The only "issue" is that if you can't hit the bars from the inner sides in vanilla-like ports due to the linedef for the already-open bar eating your "use" action. The player is most likely to use the bars from the front side, though, so I wouldn't consider this to be a critical issue.

27 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Just moved across the country, got a new job, and am now closing on my first house

Congrats! :D

Can someone generate a map description for me? I don't have an openai account nor a phone number.

2 minutes ago, WoodWork said:

Can someone generate a map description for me? I don't have an openai account nor a phone number.

What map do you want?

1 minute ago, Korni27 said:

What map do you want?

MAP01. I wanna experiment around with this.

@Andrea Rovenski I played MAP09, here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

First of all, very fun map! The beginning felt unfair though, the harming floor being the biggest enemy, as funny as that may sound - maybe add more rad suits?

The SUPPORT2 texture was used in both lifts and solid walls so it was confusing, I could never tell which walls I could interact with and which ones were static, so change the static wall textures to avoid confusion.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm getting a HoM here, could be because I'm once again testing through UDB, but check if it appears for you too. If not, it's probably UDB and can be ignored.

image.png.bbb8bc4b67499f4a30c25d17730e1edc.png

@noisebloom MAP11:

Spoiler

HoM here, also this secret was absolutely not obvious at all until I checked the editor, the texture's offset is like 1 pixel and I typically don't pay attention to the ceiling when playing so maybe make it slightly more obvious. It's already behind a revenant cage so even if the texture used was slightly different, it might not be immediately obvious. I'd make it brown personally, a nod to the original IWADs.

image.png.87278dbbd4ad65b550987c645269f426.png

The secret portal in the bookshelf maze was not obvious to me, I would recommend making that wall flicker or glow.

Other than that, nothing much else to say - a short and simple breather map.

@Korni27 MAP14:

Spoiler

All I gotta say is, it seems to be a trend of yours to make "points of no return", lol. Once again I missed out on some kills and one secret but there is no backtracking past the lift down to hell. Really fun map, cool visuals too, but please make it possible to backtrack! For example, add a portal by the exit switch that takes you back up in front of the elevator drop.

Another thing I noticed after having idclip'd back up was that the trap walls kept lowering after I had already beaten the fights they were meant to trap the player for, are they set to repeating? Change them to W1 if that's the case, it made exploring annoying.

@Kami Did you ever get around to fixing the minor issues I pointed out on page 9? I think I remember you sending the updated map, but I can't find it, so it could be a false memory. If you have updated the map, please re-send it, if not, please do it in the next few days!

@BeefGee 10/10.

@Raith138 MAP25:

Spoiler

Some misaligned textures scattered throughout the map:

image.png.bbe7b5ebec620724311d379b1da7abf4.png

image.png.3a2aa14fc86ef52889da4cb955da7424.png

The last secret became unobtainable to me without cheating because I had finished the map with 15% health and the last secret required me to run through damaging floor, I simply would not have made it to the rad suit in time. Maybe change up that secret a little bit!

The texturing is also a little bland, if you have time maybe you could add a bit of variety to make it more interesting! This will also make auto-aligning textures easier.

25 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

The SUPPORT2 texture was used in both lifts and solid walls so it was confusing, I could never tell which walls I could interact with and which ones were static, so change the static wall textures to avoid confusion.

glad you enjoyed it! Though I'd like to say that I don't really agree with support2 texture being a problem, I think walking up to a platform and pressing use and seeing it doesn't work but there are still lit up switches everywhere to signal progress is fine, and changing them to support3 would make the vibe shift too much I think. Let me know what you think. :) BTW HOM doesn't show for me, so not sure about that!

26 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

All I gotta say is, it seems to be a trend of yours to make "points of no return", lol. Once again I missed out on some kills and one secret but there is no backtracking past the lift down to hell. Really fun map, cool visuals too, but please make it possible to backtrack! For example, add a portal by the exit switch that takes you back up in front of the elevator drop.

Another thing I noticed after having idclip'd back up was that the trap walls kept lowering after I had already beaten the fights they were meant to trap the player for, are they set to repeating? Change them to W1 if that's the case, it made exploring annoying.

On it, btw, I and @Raith138 are doing map29 together

30 minutes ago, iddq_tea said:

@Raith138 MAP25:

Reveal hidden contents

Some misaligned textures scattered throughout the map:

image.png.bbe7b5ebec620724311d379b1da7abf4.png

image.png.3a2aa14fc86ef52889da4cb955da7424.png

The last secret became unobtainable to me without cheating because I had finished the map with 15% health and the last secret required me to run through damaging floor, I simply would not have made it to the rad suit in time. Maybe change up that secret a little bit!

The texturing is also a little bland, if you have time maybe you could add a bit of variety to make it more interesting! This will also make auto-aligning textures easier.

I can align the textures but I don't think I can really change the wall texture because no other vanilla texture would work. I kinda played around with brightness to make up for it. Also, what would you suggest for changing the secret?

Just now, Raith138 said:

I can align the textures but I don't think I can really change the wall texture because no other vanilla texture would work. I kinda played around with brightness to make up for it.

I made a map with the red rock texture a while ago, what I found works with it really well is rusted metal like METAL and SUPPORT3.