Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

First published map here.

Name: Techbase 504. 

Small techbase level. Unfortunately, registering with discord it used my discord name. Anyway, NightridingDoom is what I'm going to use once the timer is up. It is also what I will be using on Discord and as My map author name. 

Story depends on Difficulty level. In IMTYD and HNTR you are sent in to clear out the demons the other marine left behind. On HMP and UV you are sent in to deal with a small outposts demon infestation. 

Made for GZDoom on Doom II IWAD. 

-------------------------

Changes:

Bigger change:

• All Difficulties Implemented
    • UV is a bit easier
    • HMP properly implemented
    • HNTR Fully implemented
    • IMTYD Fully implemented

Minor changes:

• One room enlarged, Details added to that room
  • Some extra lights and shadows added
  • Some health and ammunition changes (Both additions and/or placement changes)

---------------------------------------------

Archive:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Release Candidate 3 out now!

RC3 changes: 

• Health now increased by 60 points
  • Added an indicator for super shotgun. Don't worry, it's not a Sandys arrow. The benefit is more ammunition! But it is not noticeable if the player makes a mistake.
  • Added a secret at the beginning that seems to be nice to have.
  • Look for lights. Something is off with one of them

Blue key is now Yellow, and can still be gained easily, with an extra step. Area combat revamped.

Secret area enlarged.

Combat dynamics in blue key room changed.

Now contains all 5 weapons.

Downsides: unfortunately overall difficulty with the secret got a bit lower. However, difficulty without secret did feel the same or higher.

Credits: 
One middle texture from Gothic Map Pack is used.

Waterfall texture from Nightmare Recolored textures.
One switch texture made from Iwad Patches using Slade texture editor.

Download: Techbase504.zip

Videos in the thread:

By @Biodegradable Video is of the Release Candidate 1. He got the roughest.

By @Clippy Release Candidate 2. I agreed with some of his sentiment, so I released another update. 

Release Candidate 3, as of now (25.08.23) has no videos.

Anything after those 2 is now Release version 1. Thank you for playing and enjoy. IDGames link once it has been accepted.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230810_131344.png.c84f2a8bc213b59aaf2c73e93a67d518.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230810_132847.png.bcd8b80bdfd3d150cbd2cbb3673d7d48.png

Edited by tumedaskihutaja_37685 : Stable, final release v1

For a first time mapper, its actually really good!

The texture resizing was used very creatively, and the architecture was greatly designed

Did die a few times on UV while trying to UVMAX it, but that's probably because of my gameplay

Either way, it's a really good map for a first-time mapper!

6 hours ago, tumedaskihutaja_37685 said:

Story depends on Difficulty level. In IMTYD and HNTR you are sent in to clear out the demons the other marine left behind. On HMP and UV you are sent in to deal with a small outposts demon infestation. 

I like this little explanation.

This was a pretty fun map, well done, and welcome to the community!!!

Some particular things I liked:

- Good short fun map!

- The "theme" of circle-shaped things. Little round pools of water, lava, etc., good visual marker.

- The secret trigger, it's marked, but not blatantly obvious.

- The teleporting lost souls.

Minor criticism/recommendations/things to consider:

- The indoor areas felt a bit cramped, ultimately it didn't hinder playability, but perhaps on later maps you can experiment with corridor width.

- Introduce more verticality. This is not a big issue in this map, because there is variety in the types of places, and the teleport separates everything too. But most of the rooms are on the same level. In the intro area, there are some ramps and elevated places, but mostly for monster nests, not places the player can get to. Verticality can also help to SHOW the player where they might go later.

- The blue skull is too easy to grab, while avoiding a lot of monsters.

Keep em coming! :D

This map is really cute and I love the texture work. My gripe really lies with how the blue skull fight feels very inconsistent with everything else up until that point, so the map feels like it's unsure what it really wants to be. It starts being reasonably spicy with some ammo deprivation, though not egregiously so, but then turns on its heel and throws a huge amount of enemies at you with such limited resources. Thus, I found the best strategy was to essentially ignore most if not all the demons in that room, grab the key and then run away. So thematically, the map feels a little all over the place. On the bright side though, I do find the map very charming and see a lot of promise, so I'd love to see more stuff from you in the future.

14 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

This map is really cute and I love the texture work. My gripe really lies with how the blue skull fight feels very inconsistent with everything else up until that point, so the map feels like it's unsure what it really wants to be. It starts being reasonably spicy with some ammo deprivation, though not egregiously so, but then turns on its heel and throws a huge amount of enemies at you with such limited resources. Thus, I found the best strategy was to essentially ignore most if not all the demons in that room, grab the key and then run away. So thematically, the map feels a little all over the place. On the bright side though, I do find the map very charming and see a lot of promise, so I'd love to see more stuff from you in the future.

Hey, thanks. I do have a big issue with conveying the infighting. Running around until the monsters kill each other was the intended strategy. Maybe I should have thought  that room out a little better....or used it for something different.  Thanks for the video. 

Oh, don't need big supports for tiny wires lol.

Edit: I'm going to rethink this room. Download link temporarily removed

Edited by tumedaskihutaja_37685

Gave it a whirl, looking for something short to play. Video run time doesnt represent one run - I failed miserably on the blind first go and never found the secret ever which appears to make a difference. I later saw Bio got the plasma gun. I got into a super unfortunate moment with barons and single shotgun situation too which was agonizing - second run went much better I always get too killy but skipping some monsters saved me some ammo etc then I had a very fun savelss quick play

Not bad once you get familiar with it but most ppl will only play things once eh - hope footage is helpful anywho

really awesome map, got destroyed in my first couple of playthroughs but i loved the challenge. i'm also new to mapping and this gave me some inspiration for my own maps.

looking forward to seeing more maps from ya