Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
worldoffood

Bloodscorched alpha release

Hello everyone! I'm pretty far along on this 32 Map WAD so I'm looking to spread the word and looking for feedback. Been putting this together in Doom Builder for about a year and a half. Designed for intermediate skill, I look back to when I started playing WADs and was really put off by how challenging some of them were. I wanted to create something well designed for people that are more comfortable with Doom 2's original difficulty. Everything is basically vanilla, but there are a few surprises to keep things interesting... No jumping or crouching, free look is optional. Just some good old fashioned run and gun action!

GZDoom and ultra-violence only for now. The main goal now is detailing the levels, balancing, and creating more dynamic lighting. A few of the later levels have exits at the beginning because they are incomplete. Basically all the main set pieces are done, but the layout and level flow still need to be finished. Tons of custom music! I haven't written anything, but many original mixes of bands and a few songs pulled from other WADs. I will be including proper listing of music credits when I finalize the song choices.

Feedback and playtesting stage now. It would be hugely helpful to hear what you like/don't like. I play test pretty extensively, but everyone plays a little differently. If you decide to stream or upload videos of it, please let me know! I would be happy to give you a follow and see your reactions.

Bloodscorched v.88

cover.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221022_072146.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221022_070609.pngScreenshot_Doom_20221022_070513.png

Spoiler

All skyboxes have been pulled from Mechadon's Box 'o Skies, or original Doom and Doom 2. I have pulled some textures from Doom 1 or swapped things to flats, but visually everything is vanilla. A choice I kind of regret as replacement textures can add a lot to levels, but too late it change it now. Secret levels are seperate and accessed in different levels. Exits can be found in Map11 and Map16. Secret levels are some of the most unfinished, so don't worry too much if you miss them lol. Arachnotron and Spider Mastermind have been given smaller radius so they can be utilized in more effectively. Most maps are exploration based, but I do incorporate a bit of slaughter as things escalate.

- - - - -

New monsters!

- - - - - 

Rotting / Shade

efa0a737099b98c7ca2bc6b6f316a3a32550ec2e

Slow, low health, and melee only. The first custom monster you will encounter. Don't pose much of a threat, but often appear in great numbers. Shade is a blurred variant. Zombie fodder outright, but I modified the gib sprite as it was too tame.

Wraith

756a7b02a102136f3c6a6d63ff7b87f17a77775d

Another melee only enemy, but these are a much greater threat! Also very low health, but incredible movement and attack speed. Will take you down quickly if you give them the chance.

Blood Wight

26d53e88e2928fcc92a4fa82ace6978e8997680a

An imp with a little extra health. Also the ability to resurrect monsters and each other. They don't pose much threat to the player, but should be taken care of quickly to avoid resurrection. Will not infight with imps. I think I originally intended for it to send 3 fireballs, but couldn't figure out the code lol. Recolor of the Vulgar sprite.

CacoKnight

46c6254c77aab52ad9b3176e724b0c60a81ab675

Cacodemons have too much health!! In fact, I would argue most doom enemies have too much hp. The main reason for the custom monsters is to provide more mid/lowtier enemies. CacoKnights have about half the health of a regular one, so two rockets will always be enough. :)

Legion

8368ed2b0fe747cc718843778ed3719cb7d625df

Small and agile with a fast projectile. Another aerial distraction to mix up combat. Though more of a nuisance than an actual threat.

Titan

979dec96c367a3f1ba2826b4e09713d6142f57a2

Taking the meaning of "walking wall" to a new level. Titans are big, slow, and extremely tough. About 1.5 barons, twice as wide, and attacks with a single mancubus volley. Sprite is custom mashup of the Heirophant and Hellion. I need to do a great deal of sprite cleanup, but they are in a functional state.

- - - - - 

All monster sprites are taken from Realm 667, but almost all of the decorate code is modified to fulfill their new purpose.

This WAD was built in BOOM compatibility, but currently only work in GZdoom. I would love to get it organized to fit other ports like PRBoom, but I have no idea how to do that. Coding does not come naturally to me at all, and even just designing these monster types took an embarrassingly long time. If you know how to help I would greatly appreciate it!

Honestly kind of unsure where to take this project. Will only take another 6 months or so to finish, but there are already a million people creating amazing levels. Some of my other favorite games, like Descent and Quake 2, need the content far more. Would be weird to get so far along on this project just to abandon it though, so I will probably be putting in the work to finish everything. I plan to implement difficulties, as well as multiplayer features, but those are low priority compared to finishing the remaining levels.

Thanks for your time, and enjoy!

:)

Coming up on 2 years for this project. Still a lot to do but I can see the finish line! All but 5 or so levels are fully designed. I'm splitting my time between detailing, balancing, and finishing up the last few levels. My quality expectations have increased with each map, so I plan on going back and doing another sweep to really make everything stand out. Motivation comes and goes, but I have consistently been putting a lot of time here. Below is a photo of some of my most recent work on map 23.

Bloodscorched v.94 release

Upon further inspection, this isn't quite as "intermediate" difficulty as I thought. Experienced Doomers still won't have too much trouble.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm putting too many secrets in my maps, but then I remember Doom 1 has like 9 secrets per level. :)

Screenshot_Doom_20240117_134624.png

Edited by worldoffood : broken link

There is something wrong with the download link in moddb.com

30 minutes ago, FEDEX said:

There is something wrong with the download link in moddb.com

Oh, that's annoying. I guess their server is taking a long time to upload the file? Everything is submitted correctly on my end.

Sorry! The download link should be active soon.

I think you should upload your wad in another file host, the issue in modbb.com still persist

2 hours ago, FEDEX said:

I think you should upload your wad in another file host, the issue in modbb.com still persist

I just checked and it looks like it's finally working! Thanks for following up. :)