Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shulbocka

Is It Possible To Make Attacks Interactive With Environment?

Question

My question sounds more in-depth then what I'm trying to achieve. Does anyone know where I can find information to learn how to make attacks like the punch attack or a quick kick able to open doors and activate switches? I just think it makes sense that Doom Guy is too cool and intense to stop and use actual door controls. Violence solves everything.

4 answers to this question

UDMF map format has options to allow for doors and switches to be activated by attacking them. I'm not sure it's specific enough for it to be only a melee attack, though. You could do that through scripting if necessary, I'm sure.

Alright, thank you very much for the info and advice. I'll try the scripting route since my aim is to make a universal mod that allows only melee attacks to interact with the environment, or behind the scene it's actually a mod that alters all doors and switches. Thanks again for the help.

4 hours ago, Shulbocka said:

Alright, thank you very much for the info and advice. I'll try the scripting route since my aim is to make a universal mod that allows only melee attacks to interact with the environment, or behind the scene it's actually a mod that alters all doors and switches. Thanks again for the help.

Hmmm... well, in that case, I think the best approach would be to make a new melee attack type inheriting from the base one, then see if you can add the "activate" command as something which gets performed as part of that melee attack. You'd also need to add a replacement for the normal activation command as well and have it do nothing.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:26 PM, Stabbey said:

Hmmm... well, in that case, I think the best approach would be to make a new melee attack type inheriting from the base one, then see if you can add the "activate" command as something which gets performed as part of that melee attack. You'd also need to add a replacement for the normal activation command as well and have it do nothing.

You're awesome, thanks again for the help. I'll first try the second method that you suggested as that sounds like the best way to handle it like you said. If I succeed, I'll definitely share my results with everyone else.