Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DannT

A. I. Anarchy: Episode 2 (Marble & Mahogany) - Limit Removing

title_aia.png

It's been a year, and a year in the world of AI imaging is analogous to the difference between Doom2 and Doom Eternal, so there's a bit of irony here. However, during the process of creating the first episode, I created about 700+ textures and only used a handful while saving the remainder for later use. In the mean time, I ended up getting permabanned from MidJourney after modding some of the gore assets that would become the decoration replacements. There was a whole things about bypassing the text input barriers by image2image prompting cooked chickens, but that's neither here nor there. I did move on to another option, but it lacks the tiling feature, so we're stuck with what I've created, which is an uncanny and unmistakable MidJourney v3 aesthetic. Modern options almost look too good, so I'm content with the lost shovelware feel. 

To recap, A.I.A is a mapset completely assembled from machine generated textures, and when possible, obstacles and sprites have been updated as well. This started as a small experiment in order to flesh out some additional textures for existing maps, but quickly turned into a proof of concept to see how much could be done using this method alone. The goal was two-fold: to create a resource pack that might find some use by others, and to see how well they fit together. After seeing the state of technology in the past year, there would probably be better options these days, so the former might no longer apply. 

Episode 2 is a 8-map set that attempts to showcase the wood, marble, and metal textures set against a skybox that is ever more becoming a mass of green. Difficulties have been implemented, but overall it's not too punishing. Each is very short and shouldn't be too hard to UVMax saveless. There's a few speedrunning routes too, and ironman runs should be good for those who want to give those a try. It *IS* meant for continuous play, but pistol-starting should be fine and has been tested a bit more thoroughly compared to Episode 1. The main benefit of continuous play will be certain ammo drops for weapons sourced via secret areas, as well as a few health bonuses to help start the following level on a better note.

Map layouts were also A.I. generated just to give me a head start and help overcome mapper’s block. After that point, I traced them and continued in a more traditional manner. Such was the process with most of the work, especially the images since it wasn’t a matter of just pressing a button and dropping them in. I’d like to think of the AI process as a rapid development and prototype tool in the same way using a photograph would be a good first step in making a texture vs drawing each pixel by hand. I know there’s the concern that AI could render some traditional jobs as obsolete, but in this case, it let me reduce much of the laborious work down to a few days vs months.

Also added in this update, is the use of GPT to create the level names and intermission text. I replaced the ones from Dungeon AI, since they were just awful. As a bonus, the midis were created using Melobytes and I hate them with a passion. Finally, if you play in a ZDoom port, I've thrown in some bonus art between levels too.

Huge thanks to @Clippy for early testing, @Pistoolkipfor the tough love and telling me that I could always do better, and @A Handsome Fridge for his playthrough and final bug fixes.

Download: https://dannarchy.com/doom/AIA_EP2.zip

Format: Limit removing
Base IWAD: Doom2.wad
Tested in: Crispy Doom 5.10.3 & GZDoom 4.6.1 & DSDA 0.19.7 (Episode Selection should work in GZ and DSDA)
Single Player & Coop

Playstyle: Continuous preferred 

Maps:

Spoiler

MAP13 - Tome of Impish Torment

aia_map13.jpg

MAP14 - Metalwood Hamlet

aia_map14.jpg

MAP 15 - Mahogany Hall

aia_map15.jpg

MAP16 - Painted Secrets Manor

aia_map16.jpg

MAP17 - Canyon Keep

aia_map17.jpg

MAP18 - Regal Demonic Citadel

aia_map18.jpg

MAP19 - Castle of Alloys and Stone

aia_map19.jpg

MAP20 - Arena of Unveiled Confrontation

aia_map20.jpg

I played the Second Episode. It turned out quite well. Maybe even better than the First Episode in terms of Design. And the gameplay has become better.

I have only one question: "How do I get to the Secret Levels?" I see in MAPINFO that you can get in from MAP14, but I searched everything: there is no Secret Exit. Only on MAP15. Where is he?

Therefore, I had to watch the Secret Levels using the "changemap". MAP32 made me sweat. It resembles a Hardcore Version of "Dead Simple", but with your WolfTEX. In short, I killed a couple of hours.

I'm Waiting For The Third Episode!

@Blacklight The secret exit should be in map15. There's a floor that's lowered when another is triggered since they're linked.  I'll have to check map 14 in the mapinfo, as there might be a typo. Map31 is a simplifed wolf3d copy but with new textures.  Map32 is new.  

Thanks for the comments.  I'm working on EP3, then I can put this to bed and do something else finally.  

Oof, I'll have to check on that.  Don't recall seeing a HOM in my plays, but I'll look again.  Thanks for the heads up.  

MAP16 is genuinely unsettling; AI-generated art is so good at creating nightmarish visuals.

I also like that MAP32 was not just a remake of Doom II's "Grosse".

On 2/1/2024 at 6:50 PM, Rudolph said:

MAP16 is genuinely unsettling; AI-generated art is so good at creating nightmarish visuals.

I also like that MAP32 was not just a remake of Doom II's "Grosse".

It's getting much more refined these days, but the 2022 era stuff was really trippy 

Map07 playthrough. I forgot to start recording right away, so by the time the video started I had already killed several demons.

That's the finale. Thanks for doing all these playthroughs. 

Overall, I really liked this megawad. Interestingly, the first and second episodes left impressions similar to Doom and Doom 2.

I liked leveldesign and atmosphere more in the first episode, gameplay and fights in the second.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:50 AM, netcurse2000 said:

Overall, I really liked this megawad. Interestingly, the first and second episodes left impressions similar to Doom and Doom 2.

I liked leveldesign and atmosphere more in the first episode, gameplay and fights in the second.

Thank you for all the videos.  I'll keep working on completing the megawad