Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted User bye

How to scale down sprites in slade

I have currently been trying to replace all of the weapons in my Wad, which is going to support every source port besides vanilla ( I still need help with that)

So I took the weapon sprites from TMSS (Bacon Shotgun), but it was too big, which will be irritating to players. I am now currently trying to find any sort of way to scale down the sprites without losing extreme amounts of quality (already tried gimp, ruined the image)

Second question, how can I make my mod vanilla compatible? I get this 2023-12-12.png.e35be0dc54357f098c7ae0efe04e24b3.png error in chocolate doom, please help me

Also here's the list of all the stuff that is packed into this wad: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoWCowdleidri4B40Kq6BY_vxUeOJg?e=u59D1I

3 minutes ago, AtomIsTired said:

I get this error in chocolate doom, please help me

Are you loading the wad with -merge in Chocolate Doom, or just with -file ?

You might also need keen sprites with names ending in N0, O0, P0, and Q0, since you have an R0 frame for whatever reason and doom2.wad has no frames after M0.

As for the first question, that's kind of an artistic endeavour, there's not going to be an easy way to just push a button and get a resized version of a graphic that looks good. I don't even see the bacongun sprites in TMSS 1.1.pk3, where are they?

30 minutes ago, AtomIsTired said:

got this error now

This claims you have two TROOI0 lumps in your wad, I didn't see them looking through your video. You do have a shotgun sprite with no name at all, that might be messing with Chocolate Doom. If that's not it, you'll have to post the wad for someone to help. If you're not comfortable with posting it publicly, I don't mind taking a look if you DM me a link.

For the bacon gun:

Are you just trying to resize the BACE sprites, or the NORM/MURI/NOBA ones too? The latter are going to be extremely hard to get looking good in the Doom palette even without resizing because of the colours used. Trying to fix them is going to be more work than I'm willing to put in myself; you're going to just have to play around with colours and sizing to do the best you can.

If you're still looking for solutions, may I suggest giving GIMP another try - I scale down images for sprites pretty often.  Its actually how I start a lot of projects.

Unfortunately, just straight up adjusting the image scale will usually mess up your sprite and lose a lot of detail.  What I do is scale down by degrees - 80% of original at most per iteration.  This gives you a chance to see where details are being affected and manually reinforce what you want to pop.  You don't have to intervene every step, its better to only jump in with the draw tool once a detail is nearly or completely gone.

A few other things:

*Only use "None" for Interpolation, never "Cubic" or anything else or you'll wind up with transparent pixels you don't want and your image will get hazy

*Bump up the contrast of the image to see if you can get some elements sharper before shrinking

*Don't judge in GIMP!  Pixel art almost always looks horrible up close, the trick to good pixel art is to imply shapes, colours, and perspective, because there aren't enough pixels to draw those things explicitly.  The shrunken image will accomplish this in ways you won't notice when you're looking at it blown up. Make it small, cross your eyes, put it in the engine.  It looks better than it looks, I promise!

2 minutes ago, Burgish said:

If you're still looking for solutions, may I suggest giving GIMP another try - I scale down images for sprites pretty often.  Its actually how I start a lot of projects.

Unfortunately, just straight up adjusting the image scale will usually mess up your sprite and lose a lot of detail.  What I do is scale down by degrees - 80% of original at most per iteration.  This gives you a chance to see where details are being affected and manually reinforce what you want to pop.  You don't have to intervene every step, its better to only jump in with the draw tool once a detail is nearly or completely gone.

A few other things:

*Only use "None" for Interpolation, never "Cubic" or anything else or you'll wind up with transparent pixels you don't want and your image will get hazy

*Bump up the contrast of the image to see if you can get some elements sharper before shrinking

*Don't judge in GIMP!  Pixel art almost always looks horrible up close, the trick to good pixel art is to imply shapes, colours, and perspective, because there aren't enough pixels to draw those things explicitly.  The shrunken image will accomplish this in ways you won't notice when you're looking at it blown up. Make it small, cross your eyes, put it in the engine.  It looks better than it looks, I promise!

Thanks for the tip, will try gimp again :D

39 minutes ago, AtomIsTired said:

Sorry it still isn't working, sorry but I am also not comfortable with the mod being shared with anyone else. Im sorry again. I'll find a fix.

No problem, hope you figure it out.