Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shroomzy5000

Loading error PK3 format

Hello Doomworld!

I am currently learning how to make pk3 files in SLADE3 for a map I am working on.  I was able to make the basic format of the file, merge in a texture pack I like, and a WAD I had made.  So far so good...  loading the map I saw some yellow text, but ultimately didn't seem to do anything.  The map works perfectly fine, the textures are merged in, but I am concerned about the errors when booting.  Heres a screenshot i attempted to capture before the box went away, sorry for the blurriness...

Invalid data encountered for texture (map name).pk3:textures/pp_end

Invalid data encountered for texture (map name).pk3:textures/pp_start

1169354086_Screenshot2024-01-10221959.png.666e17e41562e6b697b01e5bd429bead.png

I immediately recognized these lines as markers in Slade.

When I imported the gothic texture pack, I have the first 2 folders in slade as flats then textures.

Within the wad file for the gothic texture pack, the creator used these markers to separate the textures and flats, so they were copied over when doing the merge.

i then just took the other bits from the texturepack wad and put below my textures folder, then drag and dropped my map wad below that...

Out of curiosity I figured, if markers in the folder were causing the error and markers essentially do nothing, just delete them.

I tried this out and now the map loads just fine without error.  Since playability / texture loading was never seemingly affected by the error in the first place, I guess im trying to understand why it happened on a more technical level just to broaden my own knowledge.

The files are structured as follows:

top level

image.png.241d839176ada423688c34ed2550c21d.png

top of flats folder with ff start map marker

image.png.3c419ce8f673e92d9898ed11a3803962.png

bottom of flats folder f_end

image.png.395cf579d9919ee3beb79f6b38ba0fb5.png

textures folder with no markers

image.png.dec3384953679e9f5d08faea79847eb7.png

Now prior to deleting the markers in the textures folder the appeared at the top and the bottom of the textures with names pp_start & pp_end.

if those markers caused these errors, why are the markers in the flats folder not doing the same?

Im curious as to if anyone may know the more technical reason for this to happen?

You don't use markers in pk3 (zip) files. They are for wads only as lump order is an expected part of the spec, pk3s don't grantee a file order so they use folders instead.

Nothing in zip/pk3 files uses markers. That is a wad only thing, as it's the only place lump order is guaranteed.