Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Combustable

Map01: Good or bad

MAP01 is great for many reasons, some of which you don't see unless watching skilled players blasting away on it.

- The first room - Yes it's odd to have BFG/RL/SSG up top, but that's like a bonus for being lucky enough to spawn up there. :-) Down below is a second BFG for those not lucky enough to have landed up top. Projectile battling in here can be tricky because of the pillars, especially so with the BFG. The room is sunken which makes it impossible--without mouselook--to spam from the hallway but you can spam onto the ledge hopefully catching that lucky spawner by surprise as they emerge.

- The Hallway - Looking back into the First Room fire the BFG at the far side, now strafe to look down into the Plasma Room (switching weaps if you so desire). Now when you get there the BFG will hit the other room and you will waste anyone who happens to be in that hallway and you'll have switched to another weap as well incase they aren't quite finished off. This also works the other way, firing into the Plasma Room and strafing back to look into the First Room. For the *perfect* illustration of what I'm yammering about download this (Right Click Save As). It's a 15 second video (DivX 5.2.1) of a match between Anders and Mutator. For newbies it should be required viewing for a basic but kick ass move.

- The SSG room - Not a lot of action usually takes place in here but it does hold the levels only armor so it does get some traffic. Unfortunately this is also a very popular place to camp. Meh, what are you gonna do? Practice getting a rocket around the corner the instant you strafe in so even if you get SSG'd you can hurt them real bad in trade. Tricky with an accomplished camper.

- The rocketroom - As it's in a double room both with sunken walls you can hide to one side and avoid BFG / Plasma fire quite easily until they get right on you at which time you fire rockets at nearby walls hitting them with splash damage. You at least have a chance.

- The plasmaroom - Gotta practice getting the PG fast, no time to waste. The far side has the Exit room containing 75% health so this can be a huge boost if you've taken a beating. Beware of campers tucked in around the window pillars. A string of plasma as you run up the corridor can do major damage to anyone unlucky enough to come running towards you.

- The courtyard - lonely home of the shotty. Unless you're out of SSG ammo there's not much point in going out here but you get some crazy kills on either side of that little doorway.

I'm sure there's loads more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Map01 is a great map really inspite of itself. Some how it just... works.