Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
purist

WADEd Limitations

Anyone still use this? I know, I know - there are better editors but I'm used to WADEd now, and stuck in my ways.

Yesterday I was nearing the completion of my map when I got a run-time error whenever I so much as added a vertex. I ended up having to delete a whole area and simplifying it to continue.

Is there some limit on the amount of vertexes, sectors or lines you can add? If there is it must be quite high because I've never run into this problem before.

32K is most likely the limit. But you always run into the sidedefs limit much sooner (which is most likely also 32K with Waded). Newer editors allow you to go up to 64K for sidedefs, linedefs, vertices and whatnot or something, heh. It could be a limit of Waded, or just a bug in the program. Can you count your vertices and sidedefs with Waded? If so, post the counts here.

There's no way I've used 32K - could be lower since I'm using the(slaps wrist) unregistered version. But like I said, it must be quite high since I've never stumbled accross this problem before - one editor I once used had a 20 sector limit in the unregistered version (DoomEd I think it was called).

WADEd ********ly counts sectors - not sure about lines/vertices. I'll look into it. It's not a massive restriction though so I shan't lose sleep!

The problem is that WADED uses REAL memory - IIRC around 630kb, less the program size and any dynamic buffers. So even if you have a gazillion bytes of memory, it only "sees" 630kb.

Thus you can be way below the older 32k limits and still run into problems. Probably quite a bit less than 16,000 linedefs.

Way less in my case. I only used around 800 lines. That map was about as big and complex as mine come though so I doubt I'll come accross the problem again.

If I do I'll switch editors.