Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReX

Copying from one map to another .....

I know I've asked this question a few years ago, and I'm doing what was suggested back then, but I can't get to do what I want.

Here's what I want - I want to copy a portion of one map into another.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I open up one instance of XWE and open the map into which I want to copy stuff (call it Map A).
    2. I open up another instance of XWE and open up the map from which I want to copy stuff (call it Map B).
    3. I select the stuff in Map B that I want to copy over, and from the Edit menu I select Copy.
    4. I go to Map A and pull down the Edit menu, but 'Paste' is not available. In other words, I cannot paste what I have copied.
I will keep looking for the solution in the other forums. The Help file does not provide an answer.

Let me understand you correctly: you want to copy linedefs/sectors/things etc between maps? If so, XWE unfortunately cannot even do it within the same WAD between two maps. All you can do is select some stuff and then click Selection|Duplicate (within one map). The Edit|Copy and Paste commands are for the lump list. Or is it something else you want?

Csabo said:

Let me understand you correctly: you want to copy linedefs/sectors/things etc between maps?

That is correct. I am creating a map in sections & assembling them into a single map, and have reached the limits of WadAuthor. I wanted to use XWE to assmble the sections, as XWE is not subject to the same limitations.

If so, XWE unfortunately cannot even do it within the same WAD between two maps. All you can do is select some stuff and then click Selection|Duplicate (within one map). The Edit|Copy and Paste commands are for the lump list. Or is it something else you want?

Ah, that's too bad. I'll look at other alternatives then. Thanks.

First of all, the customary (but sincere) apology for touching an ancient thread, but since Google references this page when looking for answers to very basic Doom building methods, I found it worth the while in the name of quelling wad-building woes. My exact search syntax was "doom copying linedefs between wads" after having tried a few other variants.

All I want to add here is that, using Rex's steps 1-3 is exactly how you copy over sections of map using the newer branches of the DOOM BUILDER editor. Have two copies of the editor open, then copy-paste between them to move linedefs/etc between the wads.

I couldn't easily find the answer to this in the available Doom Builder documentation (maybe I overlooked something), nor in newer threads on similar (but not matching) subjects. Did try searching on Doomworld first, but alas Google eventually got me unstuck from where I had been for a couple of days, tinkering with some loose map pieces I wanted to move around.

Don't know if info-adding to old threads is allowed by the mods - this might get thunderbolted I guess. Not intending to start a discussion here and I did check that at least Rex is still active in recent years, if not the original XWE author (kudos).