Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TurboI

hardware acceleration and Voodoo2....

Guest TurboI

OK dudes. Is there anybody out there that is playing any DooM source port(preferably BooM compatible) on a Voodoo 2 card WITHOUT the newest drivers(the ones without OpenGL support)?
My problem is, I also play Quake2, and the AMD enhanced, much faster version of Q2 is incompatible with the new Voodoo drivers. I know a driver upgrade would give me accelerated DooM, but I cannot give up those fps in Q2 deathmatch ;) Any takers? All help is Much Appreciated...

d00d if you get the upgrade... YOU WON'T LOSE ANY FUGGIN FPS
GOD DAMMIT THE WHOLE POINT OF GETTIN A VOODOO CARD IS TO HAVE
HARDWARE ACCELERATION NOT SOFTWARE MODE YA STUPID FUCK ARRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What makes you think that the 3dNow! version of Q2 is incompatible with the new drivers? Why don't you use WickedGL, or the "3dNow! OpenGL" instead of "3dNow! 3dfx" option in Q2?

And don't tell me you tried that, I use the "3dnow! OpenGL" option on my Voodoo5. If it didn't work, you have other problems.

Geez, maybe I should change my sigline to read "3dfx chick".

MACVILEWHORE said:

d00d if you get the upgrade... YOU WON'T LOSE ANY FUGGIN FPS
GOD DAMMIT THE WHOLE POINT OF GETTIN A VOODOO CARD IS TO HAVE
HARDWARE ACCELERATION NOT SOFTWARE MODE YA STUPID FUCK ARRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really should shut the hell up when you don't know what you're talking about. (then again, so should I, but at least this time I'm about 95% certain I know what he means) The problem he's having is that with the 3dNow! optimized Quake2, there's an option to use a special 3dNow! optimized 3dfx MiniGL for Quake2. However, I'm telling him that there's an option to use a generic 3dNow! optimized OpenGL driver, which will work fine on later 3dfx drivers, such as those for the Voodoo3/4/5 cards. To simplify, any Voodoo2 driver which will work with Quake 3 Arena will work with Jdoom, DoomGL, and, amazingly enough, Quake2's 3dNow! OpenGL driver. Besides, it's faster anyway, in my experience.

Of course, you could go get WickedGL and use that. Slower than the special 3dNow! driver for Quake2, but only by a few FPS, and you can use it on anything, not just Quake2.

Drop the gl driver you want to use in your doom dir, and the one you want to use for quake in your quake dir, rather than use them system wide.