Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HyperLuke

How to add a custom sky from a resource wad?

Question

I am making a wad for the Doomworld Mega Project 2017 and trying to use a skybox from a resource wad, in this case, MDKSKY3 from the MDK sky pack. 

I am using GZDoomBuilder and Slade3, UDMF format. 

I have set up the map info text file: Capture.PNG.4165b90acd9d2d94a11d4892cb168db2.PNG

Note I am not allowed to replace F_SKY1 or sky1, so thats why sky1 is the same. 

I then loaded the MDK sky pack resource wad: Capture2.PNG.7e3f5f408b1e53011bf8bea25c8a1754.PNG

Another tutorial told me to place F_SKY on the ceiling, and depending on which episode you have chosen, it will display that sky. (Since I am using Doom 2, I am 90% sure a map that uses the SKY2 texture is Map 15). 

But ingame it's still the default SKY1. Ignore the missing sidedef textures, I will sort that out.

Capture3.PNG.c0a15c1dea526d765ba7c14d54acaad2.PNG

I have been stuck with this problem awhile, being a bit of a newbie mapper. I have looked at several tutorials on Youtube, that are outdated and don't talk about importing from other resource packs. And nothing I find on the Doomworld or Zdoom Forums so far has helped. 

So, Yeah, I need some help. 

2 answers to this question

It is using sky1 because you told it to. In MAPINFO, make the map's sky1 be your custom sky. This does not alter the SKY1 texture, thus following the rules.

The confusion is because there are three different things called sky1: the flat F_SKY1 for putting on the floor or ceiling to make it a sky, the texture SKY1 that is displayed as sky by default in the first episode (which is what the rules forbid you to change), and the sky1 entry in MAPINFO, which tells the game what texture to use as the sky. In MAPINFO, sky2 is used only if you are using the DoubleSky feature, so you can leave it out.

48 minutes ago, Empyre said:

It is using sky1 because you told it to. In MAPINFO, make the map's sky1 be your custom sky. This does not alter the SKY1 texture, thus following the rules.

The confusion is because there are three different things called sky1: the flat F_SKY1 for putting on the floor or ceiling to make it a sky, the texture SKY1 that is displayed as sky by default in the first episode (which is what the rules forbid you to change), and the sky1 entry in MAPINFO, which tells the game what texture to use as the sky. In MAPINFO, sky2 is used only if you are using the DoubleSky feature, so you can leave it out.

Thank you so much, It worked. Now I can continue working on my map. I'm glad you found out what the problem was.