Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrew316

Changing story/words in Doom

Is there any way to change the story that comes up in between episodes of Doom or the phrases that pop up on top like "You picked up a blue keycard."? I thought I heard that you can do this with Wintex, but if so I haven't been able to figure out how. Is Wintex the way to do it? If not, what program can do this if possible?

Andrew

To edit messages after picking up items You need Dehacked (or a much friendlier, for the windoze era-Whacked).
For the text messages at the end of the episodes You should also do it with Whacked-->http://www.whacked.uni.cc/
Or if You're mapping for Zdoom You can do it easily via Mapinfo lumps. The main difference between the mapinfo endtexts and normal texts is that in normal ones You have a letter limit.

OK, I was looking through WhackEd really quick. Do you just go under Strings and change the phrases? And from this you can also change level names, right? And to use my wad, I have to set it under Options and File Locations?

But when I save the file as .deh does it automatically save the changes to my wad?

Andrew

When I change the things I want to change using WhackEd, it saves everything as a .deh file. How do I make the changes stick to my .wad file? Because when I run my wad file, nothing changes. Do I have to combine the deh and wad file somehow?

Andrew

With most ports you load them together from the command line. e.g.:
prboom -file av.wad -deh av.deh

Or drag and drop both files onto the exe (drag-and-drop works with most ports, but not all).

If you want to use the original engines (doom.exe or doom2.exe), then you need to use dehacked.exe to create a new version of the executable file.

You can add the deh file to the wad, but not all ports will work with that (and of course the original exes won't either).

If You have XWE (You should) You can insert the dehacked file (yourfile.deh) to Your WAD as a lump. Then rename the lump to DEHACKED in Your WAD-and You're all set-now simply play the wad.

Grazza said:

You can add the deh file to the wad, but not all ports will work with that (and of course the original exes won't either).

any port that supports dehacked supports the dehacked lump with the exception of Boom (which nobody uses any more) and vanilla Doom (which needs to be patched).