Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
astaroth

ATi r8500 & Doom 3???

Hi everybody!, i was reading a forum about the superiority of the r8500 over the gf3, and one guy said:
"el doom3 por lo visto tambien va de fabula sobre r8500 palabra de carmack"
in english: doom3 runs awesome over the r8500.Jhon Carmack's word.

Did carmack actualy said that??

Dima, Zaldron, Flathead,???????

I belive in a post to Slashdot, Carmack mentioned that while the GeForce3 could render a lit surface in the new Doom game in 3 passes, the new ATI card could do it in about ONE pass, maing it 3 times faster in that aspect of rendering. But he also went on to caution that ATI had to get their drivers working optimally, and something about getting a good memory interface to the hardware. But he did imply that ATI's card had the potential to be a good bit faster than the GeForce3

The card *SHOULD* work. Carmack's coding a subrenderer that takes advantage of the Radeon capabilities. However, as EsH says, the framerate will be dramatically afected by the drivers.

Just remember, by the time Doom 3 comes out a GeForce 3 will be the bottom of the line card. Hell, the GeForce 4 is going to be announced in just a few days!

Remember how far ahead the hardware is compared the software that is supposed to utilize it.

I'll be glad to see the when programmers don't have to strip down a graphically what would have otherwise been an extremely graphically intensive program for the people who still hold onto their Voodoo 3's and TNT ultras (and won't ever think of upgrading.)

I've got a 5.5ns GTS, and I'm not upgrading for a while. But I'm not so dumb and stubborn to keep a card past its useful life when it becomes so slow @640x480x16 that it's not even funny anymore =)