Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkreaver

Playtesters needed: Brood of Hatred

Just played the version which was uploaded on /idgames ( http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15983 ), I suppose this is the most recent version.

Great work !
It's a very impressive map, I loved playing it.
Clever secrets, only found 3 out of 7 so far.

Noticed a few bugs, I hope those haven't been reported already.
Played in Ultra-Violence skill with ZDoom 2.2.0.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2497/boh666test01.jpg
There's a HOM behind this place ( where a secret Megasphere was placed ).

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6246/boh666test02.jpg
It may be hard to notice, but the black head in the center of this screen is misaligned, it has a slight horizontal offset.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2355/boh666test03.jpg
After you get the yellow key, there's this nasty Revenant army. When you go in this place in which a group of Revenants were blocked, you can't go back. Or did I miss something obvious ?

Also, in the blue key area, I think your green marble brick walls are too thin. It's not "realistic", even for a game like Doom.

Anyway, this is a very good map. Epic fights, nice work on detail and lighting, interesting layout, this is great. Keep making levels like that !

Thanks alot :)

about the first point; the HOM behind the secret megasphere: All I see there is the sky. I don`t know if its because you play in zdoom? I didn`t test it in zdoom actually (yeah I know I should have, considering how popular it is). So I dunno.

third point: stuck in the place where some of the revenants was; ok this one is a bad one! The floors were supposed to go all the way down, but sometimes they don`t! I`ll have to take a look at this.

And the thin walls, yeah I know :P I didn`t even think about that when I made the map, but I`ve gotten a bit better now I think, so stuff like that wont probabvly not happen again hehe :P

I`ll have a look at the map again soon, and probably reupload it.

Thanks for the feedback! Helps alot, and its a good motivation booster :)

I didn't have much of a problem with the Chaingunners, I shot one from the entrance to the rocket tunnel (I guess around where Vertex 752 is) and the other from inside before I got the green armor. I play in software mode with no mouselook and HUD on.

My only major complaint would be the closing of the red baronface door at Sector 497. I was running low on armor but didn't pick up the Blue Armor straight away as I was trying to make pickups last a bit longer. I went forward to see what was around the corner and was locked out of the room where the armor was!

I think locking the bars at Tag 19 would have been a better option. It locks the player in that area but doesn't leave you helpless if you're going to go back for the Blue Armor or a bit of health later. You could still lock the red baron door later (say where the Tag 19 bars lock) to provide a visual clue when the player hits the switch up in the top cage.

Also don't forget to monster-block pillars when you place enemies on top of them. The mancs on Sector 735 and 2146 can be rocketed so they're half-off the pillars and rendered harmless.

Like Phml said these aren't massive flaws and the rest of the map is so great it far outweighs any minor bugs.

I loved the Archvile trap around the blue key switch, so very brutal. I definitely lucked out surviving that the first time. At the start where you teleport into the little box then it becomes a building in a large open area was a simple but effective trick. The first time I saw the massive outdoor area with all the lava was a definite "wow" moment. I'm not a slaughter player but I loved your use of the massive hordes of Revenants near the endgame, they were a good threat but still manageable with skill (and admittedly a few savegames).

Some people on idgames commented the difficulty goes up and down like that's a bad thing, however I thought your balance of play was great. I don't like to play on-edge *all* the time, and doing that for an hour straight is just tiring. Your mixture of moderate battles inbetween the tough ones made the map very enjoyable and encouraged me to keep playing.

Definitely a memorable experience, so keen for your next WIP :)

darkreaver said:

about the first point; the HOM behind the secret megasphere: All I see there is the sky. I don`t know if its because you play in zdoom? I didn`t test it in zdoom actually (yeah I know I should have, considering how popular it is). So I dunno.

This happens because Sector 743 has GROUND01 as its' flat instead of F_SKY1 :)

Thanks alot Super Jamie :)

I`ll have a look at all this later on!

The closing of the bars with tag 19 was a good idea! Didn`t even think of that, because I added those bars, and the room behind the wall there, long after I made the red baron face-wall area.

The blue key area arch vile trap is indeed nasty, but when testing I survived about 8/10 times, or more, so I figured it wasnt too nasty :P

I should have though of the monster block lines *facepalm x 10*, but yeah, I`ll fix that.

Also Im fond of "random", or rather varying, difficulty throughout levels, so I think I`ll keep doing that. But I have to admit, it`s always sooo tempting to "just add a couple of more monsters" here and there :P

again thanks for great replies and bug-hunting-skills :P