Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biffy

First and last warning to Embryonic

Embryonic, I see from my zdaemon server logs that you were jacking up the play on my COOP server and could not care less what the other players wanted. COOP means you work together against the monsters, not shoot the other players repeatedly while they ask you to stop. Of course you know that. One more display of anything at all that I don't want to see and you'll earn a permanent ban on rarefiles. You can't change your player name and get away with more, I've got your IP address.

shoot the other players repeatedly while they ask you to stop.

Aww yer taking all the fun out of it :)

Yeah, a tiresome, thankless, lonesome, dirty job but "someone's got to do it". X:}>

Talking about one of the "joys" of maintaining a game server, zdaemon server in this case. The servers take a bit of maintainence, sometimes they crash or disappear from the master server listing and have to be restarted. It's not appreciated when a player logs onto a server to make trouble and have "fun" by spoiling the game for the other players. There are lots of deathmatch servers up, I don't want players to come to my coop server and just stay there shooting the other players....like I said, there are plenty of dm servers.

If a player is a particular problem then, for the benefit of those who just want to play doom, that player can be banned from the server. I don't want to do that, have no bans in place, but I guess I have no choice in this case. The same player came a second time, the day after I posted this warning, and ruined the coop play again. Since I'm pretty sure I know that player and have been on good terms with him, I'm not eager to set up a ban, would rather contact him personally to ask him to stop, but he has not returned my ICQ message.
So, the ban is up tonight and playerX is welcome to contact me for a second chance. I'll give him another chance, if he asks.

Guys, that is not so bad an idea, but when I've played coop it added to the fun to have to consider protecting your teammates as well. Seemed better to have the weapons act more realistic, able to damage friends if not careful. Maybe I can just block the troublemaker from the coop server, not my dm servers.

OK, screw it, I just added 16 to the dmflags. No bans for now, maybe this will take care of it.

Somehow the extra 16 did not work out. Dmflags were at 16388 and alwaysapplydmflags was at 1. 16388 seems to work in that health and ammo respawn and the weapons are left in place after pickup. So, I tried dmgflags 16404 and it appeared that players could still damage each other. Anyone have an idea what's wrong? Thanks...

I don't know, I was not playing on the server, just looking through the log files. There were some players "losing teammates" but not much and not on purpose. Maybe it was rocket splash...have to test that tonight.

Someone (I think Bond) passed the suggestion that dm weapons could be left activated in the coop game. That's because those marines want more firepower I expect. Tonight.....

Another tidbit, got word that I can expect a computer upgrade in the next few months. Been serving on a P2 400, going to be a P4 1700. That may help smooth out play, maybe not, I think that the internet latency is the biggest issue.

Imho _standard_ doom coop settings are:
"Weapons remain after pickup [4]"
"Don't allow jumping [65536]"
"Don't allow freelook [131072]"
"Multi-player weapons are spawned in Cooperative mode [1048576]"

dmflags=4+65536+131072+1048576=1245188

But for some (unknown:) reasons players sometimes begin kill each other and mar the game, so it'll be useful to add dmflag
"Players cannot hurt teammates (friendly fire avoidance) [16]"

dmflags=4+16+65536+131072+1048576=1245204

(though players still can kill each other with telefrag)

Another departure from standard - respawning of ammo/armor/health, which make game greatly easy but in situation with (big) lag can be useful. So final dmflags will be:
dmflags=4+16+16384+65536+131072+1048576=1261588

Yeah, I'm getting the word that jumping should not be enabled for any of the standard doom2 maps since that can allow players to shortcut the maps. But, I'm a firm believer in using freelook, it just adds to the game. You can angle rockets up or down, through windows and so forth, which enhances dm play in maps which use height differences. Consider gothicdm, map02, the gray castle, one of my favorites. If jumping is allowed, I can see how that ruins the balance of the map regarding BFG and danger getting it. Freelook, on the other hand, allows players outside the castle to aim rockets up through a few openings and generate more aspects to the play.