Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoDOOManiac

So Doom 7.0.0 (August 26, 2023) - quadruple resolution, so polished fork of Crispy Doom

So Doom 6.0 has been released on Apr 9, 2023. The aim of this release is to maximize usability and to fix a critical bug I introduced by ignorance in 5.12.0.
As FluidSynth support has been re-introduced, I'm also placing an example SF2 soundfont on the release page.

So Doom 6.0 - win32

So Doom 6.0 - win64

FluidSynth soundfont

So Doom-specific changes:

New Features and Improvements

• Options set for Blood fixes setting (Colored blood in Crispy) expanded compared to Crispy Doom.
  • New Demo timer position option: top right corner or top center, the latter to avoid message string and FPS counter interference with the demo timer.
  • New Map rendering stats setting, with a possibility to display FPS counter without a cheat code.
  • While at it, simplified cheat codes: SHOWFPS to FPS, LETITSNOW to SNOW, TNTHOM to HOM. NOMOMENTUM can be triggered by the short SNAIL or a pun MONUMENTUM.
  • Don't exclude the possibility to display player coordinates always.
  • SoDOOMy menu background resolution now depends on the rendering resolution.
  • So Doom logo in the main/options menus can now only be set through editing crispy_logo value in so-doom.cfg file (0 = off, 1 = main menu, 2 = options menu, 3 = both) as there's no more space on the Rendering/Visual SoDOOMy menu page.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed the crash when setting screenblocks = 13 in a netgame or starting a netgame with this value.

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom:

• Make MIDI device selection less ambiguous.
  • Add default difficulty option (by kiwaph and @mikeday0).
  • Improve smoothness of network games when running uncapped (thanks @rfomin).
  • Disable smooth pixel scaling if software rendering is enforced.
  • Add framerate limiting option (@mikeday0 and @rfomin).
  • Updates from Chocolate Doom:
    • Add -display command line parameter.
    • Support drag-and-drop of demo lumps onto the executable.
  • Updates of Native MIDI on Windows from Chocolate Doom (@ceski-1 and @rfomin)
    • SysEx messages.
    • Proper device reset (winmm_reset_type and winmm_reset_delay config options).
    • Loop points (Final Fantasy and RPG Maker).
    • Full support of EMIDI.
  • Native FluidSynth support (@mikeday0).
  • All music formats now work when the OPL backend is selected (@rfomin).
  • Implement demo footer for Doom and Heretic (@rfomin).
  • Add level stats format setting to So Doom from Crispy, better late than never. 
  • Do not cap FPS to the user-entered value and don't calculate fractionaltic in -timedemo (@JNechaevsky).

Bug Fixes

• Fix crosshair shifting position after changing resolution.
  • Fix Automap line jitter in low res mode (@mikeday0).
  • Widescreen rendering now requires aspect ratio correction.
  • Fix widgets obscuring chat line (@JNechaevsky).
  • Fix glitchy drawing of instant moving sectors when running uncapped (@mikeday0).
  • Fix bogus linedef numbers in P_LoadSegs warning (thanks @tpoppins).

Doom-specific

• Always interpolate idle weapon bob with uncapped FPS (@ceski-1).
  • Fix free look judder (@ceski-1).
  • Add support for loading REKKR as IWAD (@SoDOOManiac).
  • Do not show the "WAD: map" Automap widget for IWAD levels.
  • Improve brightmap for COMPUTE1 texture (@JNechaevsky).
  • Allow L and R arrow keys in Crispness menu (@mikeday0).
  • Add weapon bobbing interpolation from Woof! (@rrPKrr).
  • Restore colored blood options from previous Crispy Doom versions (@rrPKrr).
  • Add known hashes for Sigil music tracks (@SirYodaJedi).
  • Colored blood setting to change in both directions (@SoDOOManiac).
  • Minor HUD fixes (@SoDOOManiac).

blood_fixes.gif

DOOM0029.jpg

DOOM0028.jpg

DOOM0024.jpg

DOOM0023.jpg

So Doom 6.0.1 has been released on June 11, 2023. It includes some improvements as well as an exclusive feature for an old but gold joke WAD ROOM.
You can download its latest version here.

So Doom 6.0.1 - Win32

So Doom 6.0.1 - Win64

FluidSynth soundfont

So Doom-specific changes

• Crispy Doom's "Status Bar" option for level stats widget position has been brought back.
  • New cheat codes for obtaining health (MED[B, S, M]) and armor items (ARM[B, L, H]).
  • Demo timer in centered position now gives way to chat line.
  • IDDQD messages are now colorized if they had not been DEHACKED.
  • New Physical option: now game can be played with the fixed oversight in triggering linedefs by projectiles.
  • In ROOM and its Berserk Edition, punching oneself in the face is 50 times stronger with the Berserk powerup.

Changes shared with Crispy Doom

• Plane distortion in the distance was spotted by JNechaevsky and fixed by rfomin with the fix from Eternity Engine, that also fixed the plane texture repeating bug in low detail. 
  • Instead of fixed indices, the colors nearest to magenta and bright green are now picked from PLAYPAL palette for IDDT-unrevealed and revealed secret sectors (relevant in BTSX).

DOOM0004.png

Edited by SoDOOManiac

So Doom 7.0.0 has been released on August 26, 2023. The main feature of this release is the enhanced 1280x800 framebuffer resolution, 4 times the original one by each dimension.
A number of bugs has also been fixed.

So Doom 7.0.0 - Win32

So Doom 7.0.0 - Win64

FluidSynth soundfont

So Doom-specific changes

• Enhanced 1280x800 framebuffer resolution, 4x4 of the original framebuffer.
  • Fast framerate with interpolation of all movements with vsync is now the default option.
  • SoDOOMy menu wording improvements.

Bug Fixes

• Recoil thrust and Doom 2-only projectile special line bypass settings are now correctly disabled in demos.
  • Intercepts overflow emulation is correctly forced in netgames regardless of its evasion setting.
  • Vsync setting toggle code has been fixed.
  • The bug of not NULL-checking target player pointer in Arch-vile attack, introduced in So Doom 6.0.1 in ROOM.WAD special handling, has been fixed.

Changes pulled from Crispy Doom

• Brightmaps for certain textures and sprites have been improved by @Julia Nechaevskaya.
  • Savegame loading from PWADs with spaces in their file name is now supported.

Bug Fixes

• Freeaim and jump settings are now correctly disabled in demos.
  • Mid-air speed boost bug when using nocleap cheat has been fixed.
  • Complevel 3 in demo footer has been fixed.
  • Door interpolation in Doom 2 MAP19 has been fixed.

quadres_release.png

Edited by SoDOOManiac

On 10/23/2023 at 6:47 PM, CacoKnight said:

Great port thank you but the name... why two words? "SoDoom" or SoDOOM" would be so much better :)

There are several reasons:

1) I followed the naming pattern of Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom (So Doom being a fork of the latter);

2) it's short for 'So polished fork of Crispy Doom',

3) the icon, limited to square shape, was easier to design with So and Doom being on different lines.

I incorporated what you meant by naming the additional options menu SoDOOMy.

12 minutes ago, SoDOOManiac said:

I incorporated what you meant by naming the additional options menu SoDOOMy.

Yeah I noticed that and I knew you had your reasons of course, been testing it for a few days and it's a damn great fork! Great work thank you.

Quick question, do you think there will ever be a way to change the FOV on Chocolate/Crispy forks? I tried to revert to 90 for a while on DSDA/GZDoom/Nugget but it makes me nauseous and I have to stick to 100.

Thank you.

Edited by CacoKnight

18 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Quick question, do you think will there ever be a way to change the FOV on Chocolate/Crispy forks?

Nugget's code for changing FOV is actually taken from Doom Retro, which is a fork of Chocolate, albeit a rather distant one. I'd guess that it's possible and rather easy for something like So Doom to get it too, but admittedly, I haven't checked the code.