Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
banjiepixel

Vanilla Minimod: Speed Up!

Ever feel that Ultra Violence difficulty is just too easy?

Do you feel that fast monsters isn't just fun way to play?

Are you using a weapon mod that makes you feel just too overpowered?

Do you ever feel that Vanilla Doom is just too slow?

These are the questions that made me create my own minimal mod called Speed Up.

It all just started as little mod to make weapon switching faster as I felt that it is just so painfully slow in vanilla. But after playing alot of gameplay mods like Brutal Doom or Complex Doom, I realized how slow vanilla Doom feels. I tried fast monsters but wasn't happy with some monster behaviour changes to the monsters that it causes and also wanted something that more fair and closer to normal monster behaviour. I also felt that making monsters and their projectiles faster would be a great way to rebalance the faster weapon switching to be less overpowered and feel less like cheating. It all became together pretty well and after testing it for couple of weeks I feel that it has come time to release this thing to the world.

Features:

-Weapon switching speed doubled (except for chainsaw)

-Monster movement speeds +2 (except for Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind)

-Monster projectile speeds +5

-DOS/Chocolate Doom compatible.

-Designed to be compatible with many popular PWADs (like the Slaughterfest series and Scythe 2)

Mod is made for vanilla dehacked but I included also two separate decorate based pk3 files for zdoom use. I also decided to create optional pack with separate dehacked patches for the speed up monsters and speedup weapons with also little double ammo dehacked patch thrown in as an extra. Use the dehacked pack to create a more customized vanilla gameplay experience by combining the dehacked patches any way you like.

I hope people will find my little minimod to be useful and a new fun way to play vanilla Doom.

Downloads:

Speed Up

Speed Up dehacked pack (optional)

Edited by banjiepixel

6 hours ago, tam said:

That's so cool. Imo the fast rebalanced monsters aren't necessary, but the quick weapon switches make playing on UV -fast super hectic and cool! I approve.

One of the reasons why I included a version with just the faster weapon switching was to give players a way to customize their playing experience, I am glad that you enjoy it. Faster weapon switching is great for UV -fast and for slaughter maps too.