Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RottingZombie

seeking technical explanation about steam unity updates

So I decided to try and give the updated ports another chance after seeing some videos of it. My opinion has risen a bit. If I was coming back to Doom from the old days and bought this for $5, I'd be pleased with the sensible updates that still keep the vanilla essence, and especially pleased with the music quality and split-screen MP (which I can't wait to try with a controller)

As per topic, I'd like to learn why my mouse sensitivity is tied to the frame rate cap setting. For example, when I have the rate capped at 30 or 60, my mouse is hyper sensitive (to the point where I have to lower it to 200 CPI in mouse settings). Capped at 120 it's playable, and at 144 it reaches what I feel is average as compared to all my other games with their mouse sliders in the middle. At 240, the mouse sens slows way down and I have to raise it in-game. This is with VSYNC turned off or on, windowed or not. Is this behavior part of the original code or is the Unity wrapper stepping in and causing this?

I'm also curious if this applies to everyone or if it's something with my system.

My mouse is a steelseries rival 3 set at 800cpi normally, updated drivers. Windows mouse settings are neutral with no acceleration, though @sponge pointed out that the game is using raw input and this should not matter, and that if my mouse had super high DPI, the slider may not help. I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize (to sponge) for blanket-stating that developers don't "get it" in another thread. I can become an 'armchair quarterback' sometimes and feel confused at design that doesn't line up with my ideal, while I lack knowledge on the inner workings.

I should load up my old quake III and test the raw input with this mouse (I think there was a raw input option via console)

60hz monitor (though I usually like Doom at 35fps).

Thanks to anyone who can share their knowledge on this subject.

Edited by RottingZombie

On 9/19/2020 at 10:36 PM, RottingZombie said:

I'm also curious if this applies to everyone or if it's something with my system.

Fwiw, mouse sensitivity being inexplicably tied to framerate is a known issue, and it's definitely not just your system.