Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lippeth

Things about Doom 3 you just found out

This can include anything from the story, enemy encounters, exploits, oddities, development, as well as anything about id Tech 4, and any game/mod/addon/etc that uses it.

I recently figured out that accessing the console while holding shift will restrict the console to only the very top of the screen, which can be helpful when you need to see the whole screen while editing something.

I've also found that uncapping the framerate with com_fixedTic and limiting the fps to 60 with my graphics card settings is too slow and doesn't sync up with dialogue or cut scenes properly; setting the max frame rate to 63 seems to be the magic number despite reading everywhere that the game is and should be capped at 60. I would love some more info on this because it's only something I've personally noticed.

edit: Something else I recently found is that pressing the tab key after typing the beginning of an existing command in the console will bring up all possible commands, or finish the command you've already started typing. This has been very handy for things like loading a test map without having to type the whole thing, I just type "map test", hit tab five times to get to the basic box map and press enter. Even something like typing "g_" and pressing tab will show all of the existing game options. This is probably a no-brainer to DOS users but it was a blind spot for me until I accidentally stumbled into it.

Anyway, what are some things about Doom 3/idTech4 that you've learned about and want to share?

Edited by Lippeth

I just found out that the mod Facing Hell was supposed to add realistic water to the engine and it looked good. The screenshots are still up on their website. I never understood why water wasn't added in the first place, even though you don't necessarily need it on Mars. Quake 4 would have benefitted greatly and could have resembled Quake 2 more (in which water played a big role). 

The exact same thing happened to me. I figured it was either because I'm using the GoG version of the BFG Edition or because I have CstDoom3 installed in the folder. Are you using the Steam version, I was thinking about buying it just to see if that's the issue. I'm gonna delete all my config files and see if that has anything to do with it as well. I know that some original Doom 3 mods act strange with existing config files, so it's worth a try.

Very "Alien" inspired world design it kind of seems. Very HR Geiger looking.

8 hours ago, Lippeth said:

The exact same thing happened to me. I figured it was either because I'm using the GoG version of the BFG Edition or because I have CstDoom3 installed in the folder. Are you using the Steam version, I was thinking about buying it just to see if that's the issue. I'm gonna delete all my config files and see if that has anything to do with it as well. I know that some original Doom 3 mods act strange with existing config files, so it's worth a try.

I’m using the Steam version. It’s a clean installation. It also doesn’t produce an error. It just crashes back to the desktop.

24 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

Very "Alien" inspired world design it kind of seems. Very HR Geiger looking.

How did you get it to run?

22 minutes ago, Sprony said:

How did you get it to run?

I played it from the Xbox 360 port of Bfg Edition.

5 hours ago, Dubbag said:

I played it from the Xbox 360 port of Bfg Edition.

I see, I didn’t even know there was an Xbox 360 port.

How does that work? I really want to be able to play this. 

Edited by Sprony

On 7/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, Lippeth said:

That water does look fantastic, I'm kinda sad that so many great looking mods/maps were never released.

edit: apparently it was finished by someone else and released for the BFG Edition.

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/addons/facing-hell-bfg-edition

That is just a small custom map actually, not related to the Facing Hell mod project from 2005 I feel.