Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So this is my first map. The title is all you really need to know. Survive as long as you can while getting as many kills as possible. Monsters will start spawning as soon as the map starts and they will only keep growing in number as time goes on. There are multiple aspects to this map that will help you survive. There are green areas throughout the map with ammo, weapons, power ups, armor, and health. At 4 spawners, there are 2 switches. Press either of them and run to the center of the map in order to grab an invincibility, of which there are a total of 8. You can't escape from the central arena, meaning you're trapped until you die.

I created this map and WAD using Doom Builder and SLADE. It's in the ZDoom format and uses Doom II as its base. I have only tested it with GZDoom and LZDoom, both of which work. Although with infinitely spawning monsters, the game can get laggy on longer runs. The player is able to freelook, jump, and crouch although they will not be necessary. The difficulties actually matter here as they determine how many spawners are active. Singleplayer, coop, and deathmatch are supported in this wad, feel free to hit me up if you want to try multiplayer out. If you have any other questions, pm me, reply to this post, or read the txt file in the zip.

Since this is sort of a high score type of thing, I have compiled a list of my best runs on each difficulty. I'm not that good at classic doom so consider these times a par.

-ITYTD
        Time: 9:28
        Kills: 648
-HNTR
        Time: 10:25
        Kills: 887

-HMP
        Time: 8:19
        Kills: 803
-UV
        Time: 7:39
        Kills: 1025
-UV PACIFIST
        Time: 6:23
-NIGHTMARE
        Time: 6:25
        Kills: 1616

Here's a shitty example run: 

This map uses a MIDI of Carne Vale by Malcolm Brown. The MIDI can be found at https://homestuck.net/music/sheetmusic/

The original song can be found at https://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/carne-vale-2

The menu uses a MIDI of Careful With That Axe, Eugene by Pink FLoyd.

This map uses textures from Alien Vendetta, Doom, The Japanese Community Project, The Plutonia Experiment, Sunlust, TNT, and Whitemare 2.

ObSurvive.zip

Screenshot (170).png

Screenshot (174).png

Screenshot (175).png

Screenshot (176).png

Screenshot (177).png

Screenshot (178).png

Screenshot (179).png

List of records in this thread:

-UV
        Time: 16:11
        Kills: ~3398

Edited by The Beautiful Days

Here's my second attempt:

Cool concept, similar to Devil Daggers. An attempt at this one tends to drag on, though, at least on UV. The monsters aren't that threatening when this kind of equipment is given, so running out of ammo and health is the main threat, and is an inevitability since those items don't respawn (or do they? I sure was finding a lot of them). If they did respawn, the potential for an infinitely long run doesn't sound very exciting to me. I prefer the approach of Devil Daggers, where the waves of enemies just keep getting more overwhelming until the player can't keep up. Not that it's entirely fair to compare a standalone game to a Doom map.

1 hour ago, Pseudonaut said:

Here's my second attempt:

Cool concept, similar to Devil Daggers. An attempt at this one tends to drag on, though, at least on UV. The monsters aren't that threatening when this kind of equipment is given, so running out of ammo and health is the main threat, and is an inevitability since those items don't respawn (or do they? I sure was finding a lot of them). If they did respawn, the potential for an infinitely long run doesn't sound very exciting to me. I prefer the approach of Devil Daggers, where the waves of enemies just keep getting more overwhelming until the player can't keep up. Not that it's entirely fair to compare a standalone game to a Doom map.

Wow. I knew my times would get beaten but I didn't think it would happen this quickly! Very good run. I'm gonna edit my post to put record times that appear in this thread. Maybe I can make a version of this but with even more spawners. The items don't respond by the way. I don't know how I would even be able to do that without changing code. I just put A LOT of stuff in. The enemy waves idea is also interesting but Im not sure how I would do that unless I put all the spawners into a room and a door would open at a specific time to let them all out. Might experiment with that idea actually!

no demo or screen but it's possible to get above 9 mins UV Pacifist with 1.6k kills.

a lot of it depends on how many archies are spawned - i saw close to three near my death.