Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Shadow Warrior 3

Shadow Warrior 3 has released and holy shit, is so fucking good. I expected it to be decent but it's far surpassed my expectations. I love that it's not just arena combat, it has the incidental combat along the way. Anyone else here playing it? I'm actually playing it on PC with a controller and it works so mint. Curious to hear what other people think 'cause I think this is gonna make some big waves. The gunplay and resource management feel like they looked at Doom Eternal's loop and made it super nice to use player (dash constantly, no cooldown, health and ammo drop super easily and without glory kills).  And man, the glory kills. Playing through the game I'm so excited to see each new enemy type to see what the glory kill 'does'.. Loving the game so far (3hr in)!

Spoiler

I don't feel the trailers sell the game that well, the way they're editing made it look obnoxious, but when I read more stuff about it/saw GGGman's review I was like "hey this looks great", and I got it and played it and like it.

It does feel kind of like a lower budget Doom Eternal; animations are not quite as crisp, enemy behaviour feels a bit more chaotic, and it is meant to be short (not something that bothers me, that can in fact be a boon in some cases) but it has it's own feel and it's still optimised and impressive. I find the dialogue to be eh, not that funny most of the time, but I don't care all that much. I do like how it starts by humanising Wang a bit showing his frustrations with failure, though, that's something.

The gameplay and gun mechanics are a bit simpler than Doom Eternal, but work well; not really a bad thing either, this is slightly more relaxed than Doom Eternal. Just, slightly. 

I started playing it yesterday. It honestly felt like a step down from 2. The game feels like a Doom Eternal ripoff, Lo Wang never and I mean NEVER shuts up and most of what he says just isn’t funny. He also reminds me of the reboot Dante and I don’t mean that in a good way.

It was a weird thing to get rid of the Hub as well. Also the game feels very unfinished. There were times when I practically died by touching some spot in a wall and some other glitches. 

I’m glad to hear people like it, but I’m not enjoying it that much. Also I’m starting to hate just how little this game has in common with the original from 3D Realms. I was hoping Lo Wang would become the Wang we all knew in later games, but they seem to be taking him in a much different direction.

Edited by Spooner5020