Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meeshu

Player Oxygen Level!

I realize that by having players oxygen level decrease fairly rapidly, when outside where there is little or no oxygen, it makes it more "challenging". However this seems to be more an arcade oriented take which I don't really like.

Is there a way to edit something in Doom 3 to either - slow down the decline of player oxygen level or, substantially increase player initial oxygen level or, a combination of both?

I have had a look within the various pak files for the game, but nothing seems to stand out, so far,  as having to do with player oxygen level. I suspect that the player oxygen level and oxygen declination rate might be hard coded within the game's executable or it's associated dll file(s)!? If so, then this makes it difficult to change players oxygen! This would require modification of the game's source code and then recompiling the code to an executable or to a dll file. This is beyond my abilities.

So, anyone know for sure how to modify players oxygen level and players oxygen use rate? Is it easy to do so? How?

Thanks.

It should be easy to modify it in one of the .def files. No sourcecode modification required.

I don‘t have Doom 3 installed right know, so you would have to look for yourself. I would first search in player.def.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Looks like it's hardcoded quite a bit in game\Player.cpp; The player has an airTics integer which decrements while in vacuum and starts taking damage at 0. Fortunately, there is a pm_air cvar which controls how long it takes to run out of air, that's probably the closest thing to what you're looking for.

Also, in damage.def there's an "entityDef damage_noair" that determines how much damage is dealt and the delay between damage tics while the player is out of air.

You might have a look at Arx End of Sun, I'm pretty sure Solarsplace released the source with the Mod since it was a source mod at the time.

There's a part in the game where the player is freezing which I'm pretty sure it used the same sort of anti-oxygen setup.

I haven't looked, but you'd think it's a simple timer, if when, do this much damage etc.

All comments noted, thank you!

I'm currently looking into this issue with oxygen/air, and will update when I have (successfully) sorted out this issue.