Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shino1

Line specials don't work?

Question

For reasons I don't understand, line specials for lowering floor heights randomly stopped working in a Freedoom map I'm tweaking. It works correctly in GZDoom, but not in Chocolate.

The map is Freeedom 1, E1M2 (Ultimate Doom won't work due to missing textures).

I cut out only the part of the map that's relevant, there are two switches that should lower the computer pillars 8 units above floor, but I just get an infinite grinding noise.

e1m2fixv7sample.zip

4 answers to this question

What you posted seems to work fine.

But infinite grind noises usually indicate that something stuck somewhere that blocks platform movement. Doom's detection of collision is flawed so it's not always anywhere near the actual platform.

Look for monsters and barrels clipping through walls, or sitting in sectors with not enough height.

As a note, platform collision detection in vanilla considers everything in-between the absolutely dimensions of the sector, rather than the area the sector lines cover. If you have a moving sector divided between two regions, everything in-between those regions is also part if the collision even if the sector physically has no presence there. GZDoom changed this behavior which can result in the inconsistency described.

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

As a note, platform collision detection in vanilla considers everything in-between the absolutely dimensions of the sector, rather than the area the sector lines cover. If you have a moving sector divided between two regions, everything in-between those regions is also part if the collision even if the sector physically has no presence there. GZDoom changed this behavior which can result in the inconsistency described.

In addition to that, starting from Boom it seems to no longer have issues when sector is expanded. So now monsters lower out of the ceiling fine, but won't be driven back into the ceiling.

15 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

What you posted seems to work fine.

But infinite grind noises usually indicate that something stuck somewhere that blocks platform movement. Doom's detection of collision is flawed so it's not always anywhere near the actual platform.

Look for monsters and barrels clipping through walls, or sitting in sectors with not enough height.

Huh. Yeah, I quickly edited the sample to remove monsters, and turns out that fixed it. You're right, ceiling was too low. Thanks!