Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

I want to try Bungie's Marathon trilogy: what can I expect to get myself into?

@Fernito @LadyMistDragon Ok I just managed to finnish another infamous level "Colony Ship for sale, Cheap" it wasn´t "as" awfull, but it was still prety stupid with the whole gimmick of the level being raising small platforms to make a makeshift "ladder" to reach the end of the level.

It took me an embarasing amount of time, before I realized that I could use the middle platform, that was raised by the button in the same room, to reach the higher platforms. I´m glad I have that particular level behind me.

4 hours ago, Fernito said:

That's the thing, it's not even a puzzle. The only thing I can say is that when Durandal says "explore all areas", what he actually means is:

Hide contents

"WALK OVER EVERY @#~€&%$ SECTOR THE LEVEL HAS TO OFFER"

That's a little hyperbolic.....but yeah, it is required to head into certain corner or two that otherwise might be thought immaterial.

6 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

That's a little hyperbolic.....but yeah, it is required to head into certain corner or two that otherwise might be thought immaterial.

Do you know where I can find info about what sectors are required to walk over? It'd be interesting to finally know after so many years.

7 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

@Fernito @LadyMistDragon Ok I just managed to finnish another infamous level "Colony Ship for sale, Cheap" it wasn´t "as" awfull, but it was still prety stupid with the whole gimmick of the level being raising small platforms to make a makeshift "ladder" to reach the end of the level.

It took me an embarasing amount of time, before I realized that I could use the middle platform, that was raised by the button in the same room, to reach the higher platforms. I´m glad I have that particular level behind me.

Amazing! Did you find the secret terminal? (warning, spoiler ahead!)

Spoiler

image.png.76219503ed389f1d60315e004c9db1ea.png

I think this will be my last post on this thread since I feel it has served it´s purpose with all you wonderfull people nicely contributing to the discusion.
I´ll be moving my future impresions of Marathon trilogy to my profile page, so if you want to know my thoughts about the rest of the game and series, feel free to drop in.

Special thanks to @Fernito and @LadyMistDragon for providing usefull tips and trivia, wouldn´t mind trying multiplayer with y´all

I just want to end this post with final thoughts before I resume my playthrough of Marathon 1, first in my opinion the level design for the first Marathon isn´t as atrocious as I thought it would be (this might be a subject for a change), sure some levels were confusing (especialy the first vacuum level), but nothing so terrible (yet).

The gameplay is very solid definetly on par with Doom, but I need to play it on a harder difficulty next time as normal feels somewhat easy.

The only think that I think feels rather weak is the artstyle for the enemies, they don´t feel as inspired and while they do have their own sense of charm the Demons from Doom feel more imaginative and creative. I´ll see how the series improved in future titles.

For now that´s all for this topic, next time I´ll be making my first pol which will have something to do with saving, so stay tuned!