Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiramisu

Power Plant [UDMF map], v1.3

A single DOOM 2 map. It uses vanilla textures and music, but I wouldn't exactly call it a vanilla-style map. Then again, I wouldn't call it a modern-style map either, so it's just... a map i guess, lol.

IWAD - DOOM2.WAD
Map format - UDMF
Tested in - GZDOOM 4.10.0

Jump/Crouch - No
Freelook - Not recommended but allowed
Other recommended settings - Software rendering, disable infinitely tall actors (heavily recommended)

Length - Medium (~100 monsters)
Difficulty - Harder than DOOM 2 but easier than Plutonia

What to expect - Limited use of modified monsters, non-linear layout, Arachnotrons

Power Plant v1.3

LZDOOM-compatible version

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20230609_201829.png.74dd6cabaa7ca24bd0533c05971c889b.png

Screenshot_20230609_195023.png.47843dc63cbf2c9ab89c582a35e267be.png

Screenshot_20230609_202048.png.853668aa7ac25ddf1e2c81abd85af3e3.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

v1.3

- Added a few more health pickups.

- The elevator no longer requires the red key to operate.

v1.2

- One of the encounters now features a new trap.

- Switched the two yellow key buttons around.

- Added a breadcrumb trail of shotgun shells so the player doesn't miss the shell boxes before the final battle.
- Moved the Arachnotrons in the final battle room around, to make it harder to snipe them from the entrance.

v1.1

- Made the shell boxes near the Pain Elemental area more visible.
- Added two more shell boxes in key locations.

- Fixed a bug where the ceiling Arachnotrons's sprite offset would get messed up in hardware rendering mode.
- Fixed a bug where the crusher in the final battle room would sometimes lower too much after being raised.

Credits:

- DBJ87 (Realm667), for a custom monster (slightly modified by me)

Edited by sq. Tiramisu

This map is certainly spicy,  but I'll admit that it felt a little tedious after a while and the ammo distribution and the combat styles didn't really gel. You're stuck with the SSG for the most part and the limited ammo distribution suggests are more sneaky, resource-starved level design but the hordes of enemies the map throws at the player feels much more like a modern run-and-gun style, so they feel garishly mismatched. The map's level progression is all right for the most part and the visuals aren't too shabby. Overall, the map just feels a little confused on what it wants to be and needs some adjustment in that particular aspect.

@Delisk Nice playthrough and nice Isabelle mod! Just out of map-maker's curiosity, is this your first run of the map or did you prepare for the video?

@Biodegradable Yeah, I was definitely aiming for the latter style (non-ammo starved) here! You actually missed three shell boxes hidden behind doors near the dark Pain Elemental room, but seeing that on video now definitely makes it seem easy to miss, so I think I'll open one of them to give the player a hint. I'll also add more ammo on the yellow key platform, to make sure the player has enough for the teleporter fight afterwards. The SSG being the main weapon was an intentional choice, as otherwise the Arachnotrons wouldn't be much of a threat.

And speaking of Arachnotrons - yeah, the ceiling ones are bugged. They were supposed to be walking on the ceiling, but hardware mode clipping messes them up (that's why you weren't able to hit them, their hitbox is actually up on the ceiling). I actually can't believe I missed that, especially since I had a very similar bug on my previous map :p

Can confirm that it does not work with Zandronum 3.1 nor LzDoom 3.88b.

(if you care...)

powerPlantV1.3.png

@prfunky Yeah, unfortunately I'm using that light level property to create the faux-stealth effect on the Nightmare Spectres, I didn't know it isn't compatible. :(

I'm not actually super interested in port compatibility for my UDMF maps, but since it's such an easy fix I'll just provide an alternate version for download, with that effect removed. I gave it a quick playthrough on LZDOOM and everything seemed to work (don't know about Zandronum though, but if it's the same property causing problems then it should work too!)

Edited by sq. Tiramisu