Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JadingTsunami

prboomX 2.7.0 (Nov 3, 2023)

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Ah. Goes to show what I know about ports.

Hey, it's always good to ask questions. Let me know if it doesn't work out for you, or something still feels off.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:24 AM, JadingTsunami said:

Hey, it's always good to ask questions. Let me know if it doesn't work out for you, or something still feels off.

Does this/prboom+/prboom require anything like sse2?  Are prboom maps generally very simple compared to gzdoom?  I mean I ran ancient aliens map 15 on a pentium 2 laptop and got around 25 fps at max resolution.  For gzdoom I would have needed a pentium 4 to achieve this.

1 hour ago, invictius said:

Does this/prboom+/prboom require anything like sse2?  Are prboom maps generally very simple compared to gzdoom?  I mean I ran ancient aliens map 15 on a pentium 2 laptop and got around 25 fps at max resolution.  For gzdoom I would have needed a pentium 4 to achieve this.

Nope, nothing fancy ISA-wise is required. In fact most of the logic is fixed point rather than floating point which can help as well (integer operations tend to be much faster than floating point).

1 hour ago, JadingTsunami said:

Nope, nothing fancy ISA-wise is required. In fact most of the logic is fixed point rather than floating point which can help as well (integer operations tend to be much faster than floating point).

Is there ever a need to use software mode with modern machines?  I just tried dotw on an older pentium 4 laptop and it actually handled map 1 and 4 amazingly well in software mode, but opengl was a slideshow.  Igpu with opengl 1.5.

1 hour ago, invictius said:

Is there ever a need to use software mode with modern machines?  I just tried dotw on an older pentium 4 laptop and it actually handled map 1 and 4 amazingly well in software mode, but opengl was a slideshow.  Igpu with opengl 1.5.

No, not really. There are some things you can do to speed up OpenGL rendering (they're in the options menu under General > OpenGL settings page), but if the SW renderer it working well it's a perfectly suitable choice.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:25 AM, JadingTsunami said:

No, not really. There are some things you can do to speed up OpenGL rendering (they're in the options menu under General > OpenGL settings page), but if the SW renderer it working well it's a perfectly suitable choice.

any way to force opengl 1.3 rendering?  I have some video cards with only partial 2.0 support, and it renders as very messed up.  Some maps even crash out to console.

How do I make this executable on linux again?  I have it set to do so, but double clicking or right clicking > open does absolutely nothing.  On lubuntu 64 bit.  Running via terminal just causes the terminal to close.

fsdfds.png

On 10/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, invictius said:

any way to force opengl 1.3 rendering?  I have some video cards with only partial 2.0 support, and it renders as very messed up.  Some maps even crash out to console.

Hmm, you can edit the config file and toggle the "gl_*" options to change features. OpenGL is an API, so changing the interface version is not really possible and probably wouldn't do what you want anyway; if a specific feature is causing issues you can disable it in the config.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:04 PM, invictius said:

How do I make this executable on linux again?  I have it set to do so, but double clicking or right clicking > open does absolutely nothing.  On lubuntu 64 bit.  Running via terminal just causes the terminal to close.

fsdfds.png

Adding execute permissions should be all that's required for the linux builds; it's possible you may be missing some dependencies. If you run in a terminal instead of double-clicking, more details should show up in the terminal output.

On 9/26/2023 at 12:59 AM, fabian said:

Do you have ffmpeg.exe installed in the same directory as prboomx.exe?

I recently got to know about the FAAC (Freeware Advanced Audio Coder). As you are one of the contributors to FAAC (according to Github page), just wanted to ask a quick question :

Is the VBR encoding of FAAC considered stable or is it considered experimental ? 

I've added a bunch of stuff, but some things might be of particular interest if anyone is using this port.

- Autosave/autoload time warp timelines: This basically enables continuous play without requiring explicit saves. If you have organized saves turned on, your timeline files are stored alongside them and loaded when present. You can play for a while, quit, then when you resume you can time warp backward to resume play. I still recommend you save explicitly but it's nice in case you quit accidentally or decide to revisit the past.
- Reveal remaining kills/items/secrets/keys in automap: Console commands to jump the automap cursor, similar to a similar dsda-doom feature.
- Optional 100% announcements with sound effects
- Things travel over/under things (note: still a minimal implementation at this point)

Posted (edited)
On 1/16/2024 at 8:38 PM, fabian said:

It's usable. 

also sir, one more question related to viddump.

if `cap wipescreen` is set to 1, does this increase the quality of the output video (at least by a bit) ?

1 hour ago, Classic SSG Enjoyer said:

also sir, one more question related to viddump.

if `cap wipescreen` is set to 1, does this increase the quality of the output video (at least by a bit) ?

It shouldn't. That option should only affect whether or not the "wipe" effect (where the screen melts downward during transitions like from the main menu or between levels) is captured in the output video or not.

14 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

It shouldn't. That option should only affect whether or not the "wipe" effect (where the screen melts downward during transitions like from the main menu or between levels) is captured in the output video or not.

okay understood 👍

Thanks for explaining 

It's funny how "GLBoom" render feels extremely nostalgic after time...

In the past it looked like plain dark crap, but now I want to replay some wads with your fork, cause it returns me back in time when Aquarius played Terry Wads, when this game was new for me and when simple things brought a lot of joy...

On 6/12/2023 at 8:14 AM, rfomin said:

For Windows releases, there is a package that is used at build time that contains all dependencies: https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/releases/tag/windows_dependencies (note this is from 2020). I recommend to look at the updates of the DSDA-Doom build system, it supports CMake (CPack) packaging.

If it is recommended to use the latest version of these .dll files, where can I get them ?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Classic SSG Enjoyer said:

If it is recommended to use the latest version of these .dll files, where can I get them ?

There is currently no newer version of this package. If you have older versions working fine, there is no need to upgrade.

9 minutes ago, rfomin said:

There is currently no newer version of this package. If you have older versions working fine, there is no need to upgrade.

by chance, if I want to upgrade them in future, how can I do it ?

11 minutes ago, Classic SSG Enjoyer said:

by chance, if I want to upgrade them in future, how can I do it ?

I don't know if there is a method for non-programmers. Let the developer do it, it's okay to use an old version.

I received a request to merge in some changes to how the mouse movement works in this port. If anyone is interested or concerned, please try them out and see if you like this change or dislike it.

Make sure to back up your config file first: these changes will overwrite how mouse sensitivity works (it will be much finer-grained). To get your old settings back, copy your old config file over.

A test copy is attached for anyone interested in trying it out.

vs_win32.zip