Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oweniyo

Door only moves an inch and doesn't open

Question

Heyo!

So, it's just like the question: I know all about those mini lines facing outwards, all the options, door generic, player presses use... but when I want to open the door, it only moves an inch up and down. I think I knew how this works, but I've forgotten. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone got a definitive answer for this?

I'd be very grateful, cheers!

6 answers to this question

It probably means the nearest ceiling to the door sector is on the floor, or very low. Without seeing the map it's a bit hard to say. Also it depends what port you're targeting, vanilla especially will behave different than other things.

You don't have to abandon the concept entirely, you just need to add thin buffer sectors between the door itself and the decorative arch segments, so that they're not adjacent:

----+---+--+---+--+---+----
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | D |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | O |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | O |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | R |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |

22 minutes ago, plums said:

It probably means the nearest ceiling to the door sector is on the floor, or very low. Without seeing the map it's a bit hard to say. Also it depends what port you're targeting, vanilla especially will behave different than other things.

Yeah, I understand.

I tried to look for the ceiling, tested it out but it's still the same. Here is how the door looks like, do you believe that maybe the "extra little decoration" is screwing it up? I got a hunch that might be the case, because the other doors without this sort of thing function normally.

EDIT: Upon removing the little pillars the door functions fine...A bit sad that that was the problem, but I suppose we'll just have to think of something else.

Dark About at 2023.08.18 03-56-54.634 [R4090].jpg

9 hours ago, Foxpup said:

You don't have to abandon the concept entirely, you just need to add thin buffer sectors between the door itself and the decorative arch segments, so that they're not adjacent:

|   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | D |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | O |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | O |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |
    +---+  | R |  +---+
    |   |  |   |  |   |

Oh, that does sound like a good idea. You even made me a little sketch...Thanks so much for taking the time to help out!

show me the top-down view of the map so I have I better understanding of the problem

It's likely getting stuck due to the surrounding sector heights.

If you wanna have a sort of arch kind of structure in front and behind the door, you'll want to make the door as it's own thing, in its own sector areas and not have the arch sectors actually touching the door, if you know what I mean. ;) ~ this will ensure that the door always works as expected.