Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retro_Roy132

How can I change the skybox in Ultimate Doom Builder?

Question

I've been trying to make some maps in UDB with relative success, and I've figured out how to use F_SKY1, but i can't change the skybox, every other sky texture just becomes a tiled cieling texture instead of a skybox. Does anyone know how to use other skyboxes?

5 answers to this question

Indeed, F_SKY1 is a special flat that specifically tells them game to draw a sky over or under this sector. Original Doom and Doom 2 hardcoded the sky texture, but as it's been pointed out already, different MAPINFO formats allow for setting the needed one. The specific (ZMAPINFO, UMAPINFO) are depended on target port.

In addition line action type 271 will transfer sky to the sectors with matching tag, upper texture to ceiling and lower texture to floor. This was originally introduced in Boom (Or was it MBF?) but many ports support it for their implementation of earlier formats as well. This is how you can have multiple different skies on the same level.

I'm not an expert, but I believe the way it works is that F_SKY 1 is the sky texture that creates the proper effect, no matter what sky texture you want. The game decides which of the 3 sky textures to use based on which level you are editing. E.g. how Episodes 1, 2, and 3 in Ultimate Doom all have different skies for each episode, and Doom II similarly has skies for the starbase levels, the city levels, and the hell levels. So my guess is if you want a custom sky, you use Slade to replace one of the 3 textures, depending on what the Map number is. If it's Map 1, then replace the Episode 1 or starbase sky.

You want use map info. I'll upload a simple test file to show you two sky's at in one map, also shows how to change if you read in map info, you don't need a sky 2 if only using sky 1, none listed will be default sky for that map number. if you wanted to third sky would be easy to code.

Sky_Example.WAD.zip