Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danlex

[Solved] Crispy Doom is not loading the .deh file in my wad anymore

I've been making a vanilla compatible wad for the past few months; I'm testing with multiple sourceports, and everything was working as usual until yesterday when Crispy Doom started to refuse to automatically load the .deh file that is included inside the wad.

Now it only works if I use the -deh command to load the file externally.

However, when I play any other wad with that same sourceport, it loads the .deh file without commands just fine; so there's something about my wad that's causing the problem but I have no idea about what it is.

If I create a brand new wad and just copy-paste the exact same .deh file into it, Crispy loads it just fine.

The main wad has 505 lumps in it right now; the .deh file is 12.92kb and has 929 lines. The last thing I did before this started happening was modifying some states for the spider mastermind and the archvile flame, and also adding new sprites for these into the wad.

I'm not sure if any of this information is helpful but I don't know what else I can specify here.

I will not share the wad publicly right now but I can send it in a dm if I trust you.

Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Here's how the wad looks like in Slade and also the DeHackEd file itself:

Captura_de_pantalla_2023-09-28_135204.pn

agfdeh.zip

Edited by Danlex

Where is the DEHACKED lump located in relation to other lumps in your WAD? You might try moving it to the top of the WAD in SLADE to see if that helps.

It was the third lump in the wad from top to bottom (Playpal and Colormap being 1st and 2nd), but I did try to move it all the way to the top and unfortunately that didn't work.

sending the wad would be helpful, but since you don't seem to want to do that - at least send the dehacked file and/OR an image of it in slade.

i'm gonna assume the file isn't named DEHACKED in the wad itself which would make sense if the deh file loads file externally. 

rename the file to DEHACKED and it should autoload fine.

22 minutes ago, Paf said:

i'm gonna assume the file isn't named DEHACKED in the wad itself which would make sense if the deh file loads file externally. 

rename the file to DEHACKED and it should autoload fine.

It has been named DEHACKED all this time so that's not the problem.

22 minutes ago, Paf said:

at least send the dehacked file and/OR an image of it in slade.

Yeah you're right, I just edited the OP to include a screenshot and the .deh file itself. I apologize for not doing that before.

I put your dehacked file into a wad a Crispy loaded it just fine. At least I assume so; the pistol was different and the message to open a key door was changed, I didn't check out any other differences.

Which version of Crispy Doom are you using, and which OS?

If you run Crispy Doom from a terminal it spits out a bunch of messages, some of those might be useful. For instance, here some relevant stuff from running your deh-in-a-wad that I named agf.wad

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
saving config in /home/user/.local/share/crispy-doom/default.cfg
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding /home/user/Games/doom/doom2.wad
[autoload] loading /home/user/.local/share/crispy-doom/autoload/doom-all/plumstuf.deh
[autoload] merging /home/user/.local/share/crispy-doom/autoload/doom-all/dmxopl.wad
[autoload] merging /home/user/.local/share/crispy-doom/autoload/doom-all/plumstuf.wad
[autoload] merging /home/user/.local/share/crispy-doom/autoload/doom2.wad/D2SPFX19.WAD
merging agf.wad !
[No Rest for the Living] adding /home/user/Games/doom/nerve.wad
 loaded 1 DEHACKED lumps from PWAD files.

It could be some change to your wad itself is causing problems. If you're comfortable you can DM me the wad and I'll take a look at it. I promise not to distribute it or whatever, you can take a look at my post history to see that I'm generally a helpful person and not a troll, and in the past an occasional contributor to Crispy Doom, but it's up to you either way.

Other things to check: make sure you're not autoloading any files, make sure all your graphics are converted to Doom format and are within the right markers.

Edited by plums

I'd also be willing to take a look at it and see if it works locally on my Crispy Doom install. I like to think I'm pretty helpful with DEHACKED stuff, and since my current project leverages DEHACKED and targets Crispy Doom, I have some experience in the area.

Hi, just letting y'all know that I sent the wad to @plums and they found the problem.

For some reason, changing some of the Spider Mastermind sprites (SPIDH1-8 and SPIDI1-8) with other sprites that didn't have rotations (SPIDH0 and SPIDI0) was causing problems with Crispy Doom and that was making it ignore the DeHackEd file.

We're assuming that it is a bug in Crispy Doom and it will be reported if that's the case.

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread!

Edited by Danlex