Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
N3WB0RN129

How to make DOOM 95 playable on modern PC'S

Good day.

Recently i've got interest on the DOOM port for Windows 95. I know that much people here at DOOMWORLD hates it, but, i kinda like it(yes, you can call me a weirdo)

Returning to the topic, if you're interested in trying this DOOM version, i'll help you to make it playable on modern PC'S!

Step 1: Get the game
Theres to many ways to get it nowadays, also, it's still on sale, so check it out: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=doom+95+pc&_sacat=139973&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fcid=1
Also, you can get it by the other way(🏴☠️) i won't judge you, but just search it by your way, ok?

Step 2: Install it
You should get a setup of the game, just follow the steps and you're done

Step 3: Get DXGL
DXGL is a very important program for this! Get it here: https://dxgl.org/downloads/
Install it where you want(I recommend desktop)

Step 4: Open DXGL
Once you open it, click add, then search the DOOM 95 executable and select it

Step 5: Configurate it
This step is tedious, but its necessary, once you selected the DOOM 95 executable, follow this:

Video Mode: Custom Size Centered, then go to Custom Resolution and change it to 640x480. Once you do this, change again the video mode to "Stretch if mode not found"
Additional display modes: Choose "Common Low Resolutions" 
Add color depths: Select "8-bit"
Screen Aspect Ratio: Choose "4:3"
Fullscreen Window Mode: Exclusive Fullscreen

You're Done, it should look like in the screenshot below

Step 6: Last Things
Now, you'll need to install a DLL file, its called "dplay.dll" and you can get it here: https://www.dll-files.com/dplay.dll.html
When you download it, paste it in the DOOM 95 folder

Step 7: The end
To finish, open DOOM 95, then the configuration, and click on Mouse, disable mouse support since its broken unless you install a patch. Also keyboard controls are the same as MS-DOS, so, if you are used to that controls, it shouldn't be a problem.

You're finally done, now DOOM 95 is playable on your modern pc. 

Captura de pantalla 2023-10-15 112829.png

34 minutes ago, LuciferSam86 said:

But why don't link the GOG and Steam doom pages ? I mean, that's the most easiest way to get dööm

We're talking about DOOM 95, not about how to get the wads

2 minutes ago, N3WB0RN129 said:

That can be considerated ilegal

No, it can not be considerated ilegal. Doom95 is just the program to run Doom IWADs, which are not provided in that download. You still have to provide the WADs for it to work. 

5 minutes ago, DNSKILL5 said:

No, it can not be considerated ilegal. Doom95 is just the program to run Doom IWADs, which are not provided in that download. You still have to provide the WADs for it to work. 

Oh right, by the way if you get a Doom 95 setup i think you also get a wad of Ultimate Doom. Regardless if you bought it or pirated it, so, if you pirate DOOM 95, is still ilegal

Edited by N3WB0RN129

Yeah but the easiest way to play Doom 95 without having the CD Install would be downloading Doom 95 exe from DW, using the IWADs and the steps ok this tutorial.

Or just use Pcemu for a more authentic experience in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

Yeah but the easiest way to play Doom 95 without having the CD Install would be downloading Doom 95 exe from DW, using the IWADs and the steps ok this tutorial.

Or just use Pcemu for a more authentic experience in my opinion.

Ok...? 

55 minutes ago, N3WB0RN129 said:

Oh right, by the way if you get a Doom 95 setup i think you also get a wad of Ultimate Doom. Regardless if you bought it or pirated it, so, if you pirate DOOM 95, is still ilegal

That download from idgames is not the setup executable and it only includes the shareware WAD of Doom. Again, perfectly legal. You have to provide your own full game WADs to run them with Doom95. 

When you buy something like Doom Collector’s Edition, you’re really paying for the games themselves, and not Doom95. Doom95 was always just a port for Windows. 

Edited by DNSKILL5

a while ago I made a ready-to-use DOOM95 installation, using the idgames download as a starting point

it includes the mouse patch by David Kay and dgVoodoo as a ddraw wrapper for compatibility with modern systems

it also doesn't need the '-emulate' parameter to avoid the buggy spectre transparency, so it's fully accellerated

sharing it should not violate any EULA or forum rule (as it's a mere repackaging of already available software)

so here it is: DOOM95.zip

unzip it somewhere, drop some IWADs in the same folder and run "DOOM95.CMD"

Edited by liPillON

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. But there is on moddb site a doom95 patch which makes the doom95 playable on modern PCs. And there are other ways as well. Again, sorry if this was already written.  See this forum post here as well: Run Doom95 on Windows 10!

By OpenRift, November 13, 2020 in Source Ports