Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoJo_BadDoom

Slade 3 crashing in Manjaro Linux

Not sure if anyone's able to help me with this, or if I'm just messing things up. I'm trying to import new textures into Slade, and it crashes out. I can click the Texture Editor button fine, I tick "yes" to creating or importing texture definition list, and the dialog box after works as well - I select the option to import from the base resource archive (set to doom2.wad). Then, it crashes out.

Terminal output:

Spoiler

Version: 3.2.5
No current action

Operating System: Linux 6.7.0-4-MANJARO x86_64
Graphics Vendor: OpenGL not initialised
Graphics Hardware: OpenGL not initialised
OpenGL Version: OpenGL not initialised

Stack Trace:

Last Log Messages:
Loading text style sets
Loading colour configuration
Loading base resource
Base resource loaded
Loading game configurations
SLADE Initialisation OK
Opening archive [redacted]
Opening took 57 ms
Setting up the OpenGL context
Failed to setup the OpenGL context

Seems to be an OpenGL issue, which is weird. It's working fine for everything else on my computer, and stuff like 3d preview in the Slade map editor works fine as well. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with my graphics driver (though I'm not completely sure on how to properly check this).

I'd downloaded the Flatpak version of Slade.

Graphics driver I'm running is Nvidia version 545.29.06.

Anyone got any pointers on what more I can do to poke at this issue? I'm at a bit of a loss, and I'm not great at this stuff.

wxwidgets has been broken for a while on Linux (something called EGL) and using the texture editor in SLADE uses a broken feature that causes a crash. It's not your fault at all.

Solutions:

1) use the Windows version of SLADE through Wine, just for the texture editor. Annoying but fairly simple to do.

2) rebuild wxwidgets to avoid this bug then compile and install SLADE yourself. Someone provided a PKGBUILD for Arch Linux to do this, since you're on Manjaro it will *probably* work for you but I'm not 100% sure.

https://gist.github.com/gandalf3/6e8948026d4740ff747b394b596e33bf

I'm happy to walk you through this if you'd like. I could also just post my Arch Linux packages if you want to try them, again no guarantees, I don't know much about what's different in Manjaro.

If you have anything else that relies on wxwidgets (I think Audacity does, as one of the more commonly-used programs) you'll probably need to rebuild those yourself too unfortunately.

I don't know much about Flatpak but it's supposed to have all the necessary libraries etc included right? Perhaps it could be updated to include the customized build of wxwidgets.

I've also seen notes about EGL having recent fixes but I'm not sure if they actually make SLADE usable, and having wrestled with it a bit I'm not really inclined to try right away now that I have things working for myself.

Edited by plums

Ah, I see! Well I like to keep things simple, so I'm gonna down some wine, then run Slade through Wine. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

I also got crashes from the texture editor using the Flatpak version of SLADE. I built from source and those crashes no longer occur for me. I'm using Fedora and I don't know whether wxwidgets here is patched, but I certainly didn't patch it myself.

2 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

I also got crashes from the texture editor using the Flatpak version of SLADE. I built from source and those crashes no longer occur for me. I'm using Fedora and I don't know whether wxwidgets here is patched, but I certainly didn't patch it myself.

What version of wxwidgets/SLADE do you have?

3 minutes ago, plums said:

What version of wxwidgets/SLADE do you have?

Built SLADE last week (commit 29f8e23, a few commits ahead of 3.2.5), with wxGTK 3.2.4.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:15 AM, Shepardus said:

Built SLADE last week (commit 29f8e23, a few commits ahead of 3.2.5), with wxGTK 3.2.4.

My non-EGL version of wxGTK started causing errors after some other upgrades, so I tried going back to normal wxGTK. Unfortunately the texture editor still crashes for me. I'll have to take a look to see if Fedora's package makes any changes. It's good to know it works for some people at least.

edit: Are you running on Wayland? (do 'echo $WAYLAND_DISPLAY' , if it prints anything then you are.) I see a bunch of activity on the wxwidgets pages about fixing EGL for Wayland, maybe X11 problems got overlooked.

Edited by plums

1 hour ago, plums said:

My non-EGL version of wxGTK started causing errors after some other upgrades, so I tried going back to normal wxGTK. Unfortunately the texture editor still crashes for me. I'll have to take a look to see if Fedora's package makes any changes. It's good to know it works for some people at least.

edit: Are you running on Wayland? (do 'echo $WAYLAND_DISPLAY' , if it prints anything then you are.) I see a bunch of activity on the wxwidgets pages about fixing EGL for Wayland, maybe X11 problems got overlooked.

I just checked the source RPM for Fedora's wxGTK package and found that it does in fact specify --disable-glcanvasegl when calling the autoconf script, so that explains things. For the record, I'm on X11.

1 minute ago, Shepardus said:

I just checked the source RPM for Fedora's wxGTK package and found that it does in fact specify --disable-glcanvasegl when calling the autoconf script, so that explains things. For the record, I'm on X11.

Thanks! Guess it's back to compiling my own for now.