Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let's stick the original shit, a'ight? Those songs fucking made Doom, the PSX sound effects SUCK, and moody music really wouldn't help too much in most of the levels that have rock. I have a hard time imagining ANY sort of atmosphere in Hangar, Deimos Anamoly, E3M1, Pandomonium, Dis, or even Command Control. They simply weren't built that way. The designers matched those songs up for a reason. I don't know how anyone could prefer the PSX if they played PC Doom first. If PSX imprinited on you first, I can understand, but anything else is beyond my comprehension. The PC Doom is THE BEST version of Doom around, and that is that. There is no other way to experience it. Move along now, PSXers, there's nothing to see here . . .

Yeah PSX Doom, I say. The sound effects were a lot more satisfying than the PC one, and the music is the best I've ever heard. I'm not saying the PC music sucks, its just that I don't think it really fits the game anywhere near as well as the PSX shit does.

Still, I think Doom II for the PC is the most satisfying product with 'Doom' in the title. The controls on the PSX aren't as good as a mouse/keyboard (though they're still good), and there are a few levels missing- plus, it's a little jerky sometimes. Still, minor problems, a fucking outstanding product with an absolute shitload of levels, that Sony should be honoured to have on their system.

Anyway, PC Doom II is just a great, atmospheric, playable beast of a game. Oh and now I can put the PSX sound effects/music on it... ROARRRGHHHHHH!!!!

Grimm said:

Let's stick the original shit, a'ight? Those songs fucking made Doom, the PSX sound effects SUCK, and moody music really wouldn't help too much in most of the levels that have rock. I have a hard time imagining ANY sort of atmosphere in Hangar, Deimos Anamoly, E3M1, Pandomonium, Dis, or even Command Control. They simply weren't built that way. The designers matched those songs up for a reason. I don't know how anyone could prefer the PSX if they played PC Doom first. If PSX imprinited on you first, I can understand, but anything else is beyond my comprehension. The PC Doom is THE BEST version of Doom around, and that is that. There is no other way to experience it. Move along now, PSXers, there's nothing to see here . . .

Um, I played PC Doom years before I played PSX Doom, 1994 in fact. When PSX Doom came out it clearly had a completely different atmosphere, and on purpose. They wanted to make it creepier than the original, and they succeeded. E1 on the PC feels positively cartoonish after playing the PSX version, every aspect is simply ten-fold more rugged and frightening on the PSX. You seem to think that PSX Doom was done entirely against iD's grain. You're wrong. You might want to remember that both Carmack and Romero have commented on how impressive PSX Doom was. I think I can remember Ian Mapleson saying about how they all, especially Shawn Green, praised both the PSX and N64 versions on his visit there. Carmack in particular was closely involved with PSX Doom.

The point is, both versions of Doom are great because they each have a unique atmosphere. But I say the PSX version is more effective, and discriminating against it solely because it came after PC Doom is retarded.

Also, I think I'll be the judge of who sees what round here, thanks.