Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mago

Is 3D edit mode possible without 3d card?

Hello there, first of all, thanks for this wonderfull mapping tool, light years ahead of the other ones I've tried, in my humble opinion. This is a fantastic work and I cant really express how pleased I am with this editor!!! Still, I fell limited because I depend a LOT on the 3D mode to easily view the map and edit the textures - but my 3d video card got damaged and I'm currently out of 3d aceleration.

My question is: Is there ANY way to use 3D mode without having a 3d card?

Does Doom Builder's 3D mode actually require a 3D card? My computer is 14 years old and Doom Builder's 3D mode works perfectly. I can't say the same for Slade's 3D mode though...

Doom_user said:
Does Doom Builder's 3D mode actually require a 3D card? My computer is 14 years old and Doom Builder's 3D mode works perfectly.

That card might have some early 3D features, though; Doom builder's 3D mode didn't work with my 2 MB Trident card.

Doom Builder uses DirectX 8.1 for 3D Mode, which means you DO need 3D Acceleration features on your video card. However, because there are no special effects, texture blending, pixels shaders, vertex shaders or other fancy features used, it works on most ancient/crappy videocards.

Thanks for the answer. Guess Ill just have to wait untill I have money to fix my other PC. ;)

Best of luck for future releases!

i ran into this problem i installed it onto a crappy laptop so i could map outside of my cave, only to find that 3d mode didnt work :-( being especially crappy i dont expect it to support 3d at all. any chance of a workaround? even a 320*256 software 3d mode would do for aligning mi textures!

If you cannot get into 3D Mode at all (if it gives you a failure message instead) then its not possible for DirectX to use any 3D acceleration features. Maybe because the card is too old/unsupported or maybe because the card has no such features. There is nothing I can do about that.