Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brewtal_Legend

Doom: Semper Fidelis

I came across this interesting solo game a while ago. I like the system it's simple and different. Kinda an abstract paper and pencil game. It's based on Doom by Id. I just wanted to share it with others who may not have seen it yet. I'm thinking of expanding on the idea a little to make the game better like making combat different and incorporate more monsters and give the player a few better more meaningful choices.

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Doom_Semper_Fidelis.pdf

-Legend

I just took a look at it. This is a good concept, but it mentions 6 levels. I've only found one are you supposed to make your own?

I am programming this into a computer RPG. Still based on stats and random things (random like a 6 sided dice would be random). I've never played a paper RPG before, but I think I get the concept at least of this game.

Can someone tell me if I have this right?

You start with all weapons...

There are 9 rooms (with the level provided)...

Each new room you select from your remaining weapons

Then in each room you continue to roll the dice, until you get a 3, which is a "Rush/EXIT." Once you get the "Rush/EXIT" you advance to the next room. If you roll a 4, which is "fall back," you go to the previous room if there is one. Like if you're in room 8, you go to room 7.

Your bodycount raises by whatever weapon you use. Like using a chain gun is 3 points of body count. Rockets are 4 points of body count.

I have this idea that how you divvy up stats at the beginning of the game, if you give yourself 1 bodycount point, does that mean you can only use weapons that use one body count? Like pistols and fists? Then when you use them in a room, it adds 1 body count to your bodycount making 2 body counts, so that would let you use a shotgun in this paper RPG. Like how you would find a shotgun on a dead enemy?

Do I have all of this correct?

There are nine possible rooms. Each room is chosen randomly by the dice. Rooms 7 - 9 can only be reached if you have enough keys.
The game has six levels meaning you have to find the exit six times.
You do not roll dice to rush/exit. You get to choose which ever actions you want from the list. You must always rush/exit in order to move on to the next room.

Your bodycount at the beginning of the game has no effect on what weapons you can use. Your stats don't really have effect on game play. The main goal is to survive by find six exits (finishing six levels) and keeping all of your stats above zero. It's kinda an abstract game. I would love to try out your computer version. I've been working on making another paper and pencil version of this game. One with different rooms and actions. Maybe an actual combat system. You can send a copy of your computer version to brewtal_legend@hotmail.com. I would love to try it. I hope this info helped. Later.

-Legend

I read that the rooms were random based on the dice, but I was thinking there are no 9 sided dice! But if you're supposed to do the first 6 rooms randomly why is there a key listed in room #7? Do a random of 9 rooms instead of 6 until you get the 3 keys?

As for different rooms and actions, with the computer game its all a bunch of modules...

1. chose your weapon from the remaining weapons.
2. a room is randomly selected
3. chose your action from the options

Its very easy to add new modules for when you want to add them :-)

The rooms work like this: You roll a six sided die for a room. If you find a key, you add +1 to your roll. I think the first key is in room 6. You add +1 for each key you have found. So if you have found 1 key and roll a 6 then it is actually 7 so you look up room 7. if you roll a 6 and have 3 keys then you look up room 9 which is the exit. if you have 2 keys and roll a 2 then you look up room 4. Get it? I hope this helped.

-Legend